To Glock or Not To Glock

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sammy, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    I’ll be in Germany twice in the next 6 months for work and can buy a Soul Head (retail in Germany for $1125) and Quattro 410 (retail $1075) together for about 2K. I tried one in the store comparing it to the Bergantino and Epifani using a Kern/Demeter pre and Crown/Crest power and was very impressed with the sound. I just don’t know if the Soul would stand-up to a live setting. (440 W @ 4 ohms) Also, I've been shopping for months for a new amp and SWORE it would at least have a tube pre-amp with at least 600W! I could get the Glock Quattro and Bass Art pre-amp and use a Crest power amp. Thoughts?

2. I'd say go for the Glock, but how about the voltage compatibility issue? European voltage is 220V if I'm not mistaken? Please correct me on this.

3. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    glocks have the switch thingy so you can use em overseas
  4. So are Glocks that are sold in the States also comes with dual voltage capability? Meaning that it's switcable 110/220V?

If yes, I'm interested in getting their amp.
  5. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I've been really hot to give one of there preamps an audition but I don't know of anyone dealing in Glockenklang in th San Francisco bay area. I'm looking for as flat a response top to bottom as possible and I think the class A circutry of the Glockenklang would help a great deal. You should check out the Avalon 737 and the Aguilar stuff.

The Glockenlang power sections use Mosfet output devices which have the potential to sound like tubes, before clipping, with greater frequency extension.

Either way you'll could probably make a few bucks reselling the Glock if it didn't work out for you.

I had there website for a minute, does anybody know it (not the luthiers access group one)?
  6. Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    Yeah, I had a friend of mine in Munich call Glockenklang, who said that they recommended ordering an "export version" for 115V/60Hz. A lot of transformers can support both standards, but the option is free (and I'm not planning on touring Europe playing bass in this life-time).

For those of you interested in trying this, here's the other catches. I checked with the US customs web site and I'll pay 5% duty on the equipment. Compared to 7% sale tax in NY, that's just another savings. Now, here's the hard part, getting it back. I checked with US Air (my companies preferred carrier) and the amp is small enough for carry-on, but the Quattro cabinet is both over size and over weight. Therefore they change $110 for each limit over :eek: , making the total shipping for both $220.