1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To Growler or not to Growler

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MohawkHarry, Dec 30, 2006.

1. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry Supporting Member

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    I just played a Growler at the local music shop, its a new model from the Gibson factory. Sounds great and feels right! New with hardcase $1400, Im not sure how much they will give me for my Jazz deluxe trade in so before I bite the bullet and get beat by my wife. Has anyone bought a Tobias Growler and regreted it later?

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I have a feeling the resale value might be a nasty sting in the tail, as those Gibson Tobias basses have got a bit of a rep...

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not worth that money. Get a used one from a few years back.

4. Awesome basses, but get a used one.

Also look into the Renegade, the two-pickup twin of the Growler and a superb bass in its own right. I nearly won Quadzilla's on eBay but got sniped at the last minute. :(

5. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Those basses sound very good played solo, but once you add drums, loud guitars, etc., the sound dissapears. It doesnt cut like a Stingray does.
    I had one and returned it after about ten days.

6. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry Supporting Member

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    Well it's the first time ive picked up a Tobias and I was suprised at the way it felt and the tones that popped out of it unpluged. I have to say that it is on par with the Warwick thumb I tried out and it blows away my old Stingray and the FNA I sold.
    Whats the major hangup on these other than gibson makes them, are they being built by the Epiphone guys?
    I have to off my MIA 98 jazz deluxe and few other guitars to buy it. It would suck to pay $1400 and it only be valued resale at $600 but aint that it usually goes with most bass gear?

7. Depends on the rig, though. A friend who had one in college could rip through the mix, but he was using a 200-watt Trace head and one of the small 1x15s (1153?).

8. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    You can get a 2 pickup Stambaugh for around $1500.......blows the Growlers to pieces.

I owned a Growler a few years ago, the B string was like a wet noodle, and overall it had absolutely NO punch. Maybe it was my strings, but I doubt it.

Very limited tonally compared to a 2 pickup bass.

9. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Growler bad very bad.... do not buy one. I hated my '96 4 string.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +1, I saw a nice one today for $650.

11. I don't mind the new Tobias basses when sticking with a 4 string, but I agree that the low B is about as floppy as you can get. Price wise? Decent, but far from what I'd consider a good deal. I'll take a Cirrus any day.

12. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    I don't know but I have had great experiences with Growlers, but I don't think I would pay 1500 for a new one. I really love the ones I've played, so try used.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The one I saw was a five, and it seemed nice. I plan to check it out some more to see if I really like it.

14. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    I just sold one a few days ago. It was an on-again/off-again thing for me when I first got it, tried it in the studio didn't like it, but held on to it. Eventually sold it for half what I bought it for.

15. PDubs

PDubs

Aug 22, 2006
    NYC
    Usually when I sell a bass, there is much debating whether I should sell it or not. Or at least I miss it when its gone.

I did not miss my Growler after I sold it.

I loved the way it looked, but that was about it.

16. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    definitely go used if you must have a Growler. I got mine for $435