Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To guard or not to guard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ras1983, Feb 8, 2005.

1. With pickguard

75 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Without pickguard

135 vote(s)
    65.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I checked the forums, but couldn't find anything specifically on this subject. Do you prefer basses with or without pickguards?
    :confused:

I can't decide on whether i want to keep the pickguard on my stingray copy.

2. I guess ive never done it but on your OLP (im assuming thats what you mean by Stingray copy) i dont think you could really play it without a pickguard. Correct me if im wrong but if you take that off will it expose wires and stuff or is it still solid wood? If nothing else you will still have the screw holes in the wood. Other than that its all personal taste.

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i don't actually know what type of copy it is. its my first bass i bought from a friend who bought it from a pawn shop. all the markings had already been taken off, so i don't have a clue what its is. i know it weighes 4.7 kg (10.3 lbs). As for wiring, i don't know what's actually under the pickguard. thanks for pointing that out.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

...someone call me???

:bag:

(I'm sorry, I just hadda...:D )

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Rip it off, see what ya find and think. A lot of times there seems to be routing and such under the guards, and OLPs, they don't excatly care for the finish under it either...

Ray

6. That was one of the main reasons for my Extreme Makeover - Bass Edition that I did last year. Didn't like the purple! Didn't like the pickguard! I like it much better now. :D

7. :meh: I never really thought about it since three of my four basses have a pickguard I voted for pickguard the ironic thing is the only bass i play with a pick is the ABG without the pickguard.

8. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I was just pondering this the other day. I just realized that NONE of my basses has a pick guard. Over the years I have bought and sold a music store full of basses, but the only ones that I have kept for any lenght of time were without guards!! I never really thought about it, but I think that I am Pick Guard prejudice :bawl: :p

9. I guess it really depends on the bass shape / Color / Finish

I have a basscollection with no pickguard natural oil finish which I love, and also a Jazz Bass Sunburst w/tortoise pickguard that I also love... I took it off to look like jaco's and ended up putting it back on...
    as for the stingray, personally I think the pickguard looks stupid,
    except the black body with metal pickguard or the natural look with black pickguard...
    but its a matter of taste, and this post will prove I have none. :lol:

10. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    For some reason, I tend to prefer basses without pickguards. There's no real reason... I guess I just prefer having the entire body uncovered. I never play with a pick, so a pickguard would have no utility for me beyond aesthetics.

11. Sergio

Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    Well, when you think about it, all pickguards are good for is aesthtics. Your protecting part of the bass you don't even see, and sometimes there's not anything underneath them! Unless you have a clear pickguard, then that makes a it a bit more practical. ;)

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Some basses look good with them, some look good without. I think precision basses look terrible without a pickguard, unless its got P/J pickups. jazz basses look good either way. I think musicman basses look good with a pickguard unless they have a really unique color.

13. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    It depends on the bass, shape, finish, top wood etc.

So I´d vote CARROTS!!!!

14. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    My preference is no guard on an original design. Vintage, of course requires the old guard...

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I vote guard sometimes...
    [​IMG]
    And no guard other times...
    [​IMG]

Ray

16. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've went back and forth on the issue and have settled on my preference being for basses that do have a pickguard... although for some reason I've been GAS'ing to build a Warmoth bass with a carved top dinky P body (i.e. no PG)

17. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Generally I prefer basses without guards. However, that assumes that the bass was designed with no guard. I don't like it when basses have their guards removed.

18. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I don't play with a pick ( even though it would improve my versitility) so, not pick gaurds it is. :p

19. matrixbassman32

matrixbassman32

Jan 29, 2005
    I think picks are for pansys a bass just doesnt sound very good when played with a pick :p

20. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I prefer a pick guard, but not by much.

Wesley R.

"So many windows and just four strings"