To heritage or not to heritage (svt-cl dilemma)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gibraltaar, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Gibraltaar

Gibraltaar

Jan 31, 2016
    Colorado
    A great deal on a 2011 heritage svt-cl for 1200 has come up on my local Craig's. Amps in terrific shape, with the current owner (2nd owner) claiming only 20hrs or so or play time on it.

I'm inclined to scoop this thing up just because GAS/it's clearly an awesome head. However, I already own a Korean made svt-cl and it will be retube time soon.

My question is: would you spring for the heritage at this solid price (being that it's 5 yrs old and probably will need a retube soon itself) or just put some jj // winged c tubes in the current svt cl when it comes time and call it good? That sparky grill cloth tho...

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I had a Heritage and it's more than worth the money and that one was built by the famous Hodgy I would buy it on that fact alone.

3. arai

arai Inactive

Jul 16, 2007
    Do it!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    That's a hard-to-pass-up deal, and if it truly only has 20 hours on it, the tubes should last quite a good while longer. I definitely wouldn't put Winged C 6550's in your current SVT because the price of them now that SED quit making them is as high or higher than American NOS tubes. But while they are basically the same heads, the Heritage looks a lot better, and it'll especially look better when you get a Heritage 810e to go under it, and the Heritage 810e is definitely better sounding than the regular one. The regular one sounds great, no doubt, but the Heritage is the best cab ever to come out under the Ampeg name as far as I'm concerned.

And speaking of retubes, I find them a complete waste of money. When a tube breaks in my stuff, I only replace the broken one unless it's a power tube, and then I only replace as many as it takes to achieve matching, which in the SVT's case is 3.

BlacknWhite and Sartori like this.
  5. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    My 2011 Heritage still sounds awesome - original tubes and all. Keep in mind you will be tempted to get a matching cab too (as Jimmy noted) - that may lead to more then one trip to the gas station;)

6. Gibraltaar

Gibraltaar

Jan 31, 2016
    Colorado
    Alright, well you all make a compelling case. Im going to try and jump on it tomorrow before someone else does. Any advice on things to check for before buying a used high-end tube amp like the heritage. I mean other than the obvious (making sure it plays etc.) ? I know the QC on these guys is tops, but is there any deal breakers or things to check for on one that's going on 6 years old? Cheers guys.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Twist all the knobs, flip all the switches, check the bias in the back (the lights should be green when at idle and light up green and red when you play)...that's about all you can do.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021