Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

to horn or not to horn?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b-ace!, Oct 7, 2004.

1. b-ace!

b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    how important is a horn/tweeter on a cab for slap bass and tapping?

As I only do these for fun and not in a gig wise situation, do you think it's that major? but I would like a nice (-ist possible) tone when playing these techniques.

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Having a horn would be good for those techniques, given that having a fair amount of high end is important to those sounds. Having said that, you can get by without one. The best thing to do is to compare cabs with and without horns... see if you notice much of a high-end roll-off in cabs without horns. Just because a cab doesn't have a horn doesn't mean you can't get good treble, but well-made horns add a certain crispness that is difficult to duplicate with regular speaker cones.

3. If you decide to get a tweeter-equipped cab, make sure it has an attenuator. That way you can adjust the amount of "crispness" to your liking.

4. b-ace!

b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    I've decided I am going to buy a GK 410 SBX!! my months of looking for a cab are over!!! I'm going to have one last try and then make my order tomorrow. I'll post a pic when I get it.

Its got attenuator for the horn. I think I've finally found the best cab for me. thanks to everyone whos given me advice on everything.

to think when I first started posting on here, I didnt even know what a 410 was! :smug: