To Jackson, or to Gibson, that is the question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bacid, Jan 12, 2006.

1. I went to Sam Ash today and I felt some serious GAS pains. I was hit with the "Upgrade Your Ibanez SR300DX" bug. I saw two of the most majestic basses, A Gibson Victory and a Jackson Chris Beattie Sig. They both played magically although I like the Jackson's neck a little better, it felt like a baseball bat, whereas the Gibson's reminded me of my Ibanez Jem guitar. I also dug the active preamp on the Jackson. I was wondering what your opinions where on these basses. I also wanted to know what that switch was on the victory and who Chris Beattie is. And if the Gibson's price was decent, $599. What do you think?
  2. Wow I think the $600 tag on that Gibson is pretty high now, the avg price on Harmony-Central is around $400.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Neither. I dont like either of those companies basses. The victory goes for a lot cheaper, as noted. Any other companies you like?
  4. Blastphemy!!!!!!

j/k. Chris Beatie is the bass player from a very well known metal band called "Hatebreed."

5. Well isn't that special?:eyebrow:

Between the two, I'd go with the Gibson, as it's made in the US, has held up for 20 years and isn't likely to develop problems it doesn't already have, and the resale value will eat the Jackson for lunch if you decide to flip it.
    The Victory Artist is an active bass...try finding one of those.
  6. Go Victory...

Pretty Rare basses (barely see them on ebay, or anywhere for that matter). And if you decide to sell, theres a chance you can get back more what you paid. As people on ebay think that just because it says "Gibson" on the headstock its automatically worth $1000+... yet people still fall in the hole and buy 'em. Dont get me wrong though, I love Gibson's and play a Thunderbird.

I'm really not a fan of Jackson's production line stuff (as far as basses go, two of my geetar playing friends have Jacksons, and they play and sound great) but I've seen some amazing Custom shop work by them.
  7. I dig all basses but I'm a p-bass man. The first bass I bought is an Ibanez SR300DX, active P/J with a Bass boost and I really dig it. Those were just the two that stood out at Sam Ash. I'm going to go to Guitar Center tomarrow and see what they have to offer. I want a Double Hum Stingray but I'm looking for something under $1000 now because I'm GASsing so hard. I'll probably save for the Stingray. That Jackson just bit me, it was so nice, it was one of those impulses, after 8 seconds of playing it I felt like I needed to buy it, good think I didn't have the cheese on me.
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I dig that Gibson bass, but as usual, GC has it priced WAY too high.
  9. He said Sam Ash...

Which is why I didn't say try and haggle, I've never seen anybody get anything reduced priced from Sam Ass...

If it was hanging in GC with that tag, you could get it with maybe $400-450, and maybe even $350-400 if you have cash. The green speaks louder than the plastic apparently...
  10. I've gotten good deals at Sam Ash before. You just have to be smooth like cheese whiz. Sam Ash still sucks.
  11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have ALWAYS liked those old Victory basses, ever since I first saw a bassist playing one in the early 80s. I enjoyed trying them out as well.

I've never cared for Jackson, personally, but that's personal taste. The Victory was the exception to the rule with respect to Gibson's bass quality, IMHO. They were good basses, but i agree that 600 bones is a bit high for it.