Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To Jazzbo, and anyone else heavily influanced by Jamerson.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cassanova, Aug 23, 2004.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Most of us here know how big an influance James Jamerson was on bass guitarists.

Last night in the car I heard an old Elvis Presley song, "Kentucky Rain". I must've heard this song 100 times or more in the past, but it never hit me until last night.

The bass line in it was strikingly very James Jamersonish in feel and even tone.

I dont know who the bassist who played the line is. But Im almost positive that he was very influanced by James Jamerson.

Has anyone else who's familiar with this song noticed the similarities with Elvis's player and the late great James Jamerson?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Check out "A Little Less Conversation" by Elvis as well. Very funky line. For some reason I want to say Duck Dunn played on that one but I don't know. To me it sounds like Jerry Jemmott. Either way it has a very Muscle Shoals sound IMO.

Kentucky Rain definitely has a WAY Jamerson influenced sound.

brad cook

3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Wasn't Jerry Scheff Elvis' bass player?

Slug

4. I remember Jerry Scheff being mentioned in BP as having played on "suspicious minds" - in particular the Vegas live version that seems to run through the gamut of Jamerson-esque thumpy flatwound fills.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's a great bass line and should be played to any non-bass player who complains about your playing being "too busy" !! If it was good enough for Elvis.....;)

6. He's takes the most simple lines/songs(ex:My Girl) and just tears it up.

Great Musician.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Too true. :D

8. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I thought Elvis's bassplayer was a gentleman named Bill Black? :confused:

9. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I'm Googlin' right now to find out who...I'm going to guess it's Tommy Cogbill. Kentucky Rain was a Muscle Shoals recording...I think. Back in a minute.

10. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Yup...it's Tommy Cogbill.

Damn, I'm good! :D

Recorded in Memphis at American Recording with Muscle Shoals cats.

11. AEllis

AEllis

Oct 7, 2003
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Damn, good call. I think Mike Leach used to switch off with Tommy Cogbill during some of those sessions. Sometimes Tommy Cogbill would play guitar instead.

12. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Correct. Mike Leech played bass on some of the tracks on the same Elvis record...but Cogbill played bass on Kentucky Rain.

Cogbill doesn't get much attention these days...but he was incredible. He did the lion's share of Aretha's early records for Atlantic, including most of her biggest hits.

13. AEllis

AEllis

Oct 7, 2003
    Santa Cruz, CA
    You're right, it doesn't seem that Tommy Cogbill gets his due attention these days. He sure is great though! I'm always stoked to see his name mentioned.

I'm amazed how much great soul/R&B stuff came out of the Muscle Shoals/Memphis areas. Between David Hood, Tommy Cogbill and Mike Leech (who else?) we get plenty of terrific bass playing.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Don't forget Jemmott!! He's my favorite!

brad cook

15. AEllis

AEllis

Oct 7, 2003
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Right on! Jemmott is a super heavy. I forgot Duck Dunn too. The bass player from Hi records was also dope.

You can here Jamerson in all these guys.

It's nuts that all these cats were doing their thing between the Memphis and Muscle Shoals areas. One little area in the south became such a major source for soul/R&B, which in turn became a major source for bass playing in general.

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Is he the player on "Chain of Fools?"

17. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Yes.

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    IMO thats really good bass line. Ms. Franklin & Miriah came out on the "Vh-1 Diva's Live" special. They did a smokin' version of it! I'm still unsure of who laid down the bass work that night, but who ever laid down the low end that night was brilliant.

He kept the much of the ingtegrity of the original line, but greatly improved upon it. It had a much stronger pull into the changes making it groove a bit more. (At least IMO it did)

19. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    If you're talking about "Divas 2000"...I'm 99% sure it was Will Lee.

20. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    That was the one I was talking about. In the thread about it, Will Lees name came up several times.