To Judge a Bassist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tea, Apr 12, 2005.

1. tea

Sep 30, 2003
    I need to write an article explaining the basics and fundamentals of understanding the bass, and how to judge the quality of playing or composition....mostly how to demystify techniques and gain a rudimentary understanding of the varying difficulty in certain sounds and techniques. It would be great if you guys had some ideas on how to break down a bass tune. Thanks.
  2. to judge the quality... its gotta have soul. a peice can be musically correct and such, but its gotta have soul baby. thats all i can say really, srry for being no help:D
  3. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    This is related to your post, but not really on the same point your making.

It's really easy to get lost in the direction of your art as a bassist. Example: I recently have been on a big kick on learning more technical techniques......that sure does sound redundant....but you know what I mean..advanced slapping, tapping and just learned pinch harmonics. I've been hell bent on seeing how....spiffy I can play (can't think of a proper word for what i'm going for there).

I took a nice step back yesterday. I was sitting outside enjoying the nice weather and listening to the birds. After doing that I decided to go in and mimic some of the birds I heard and turn some of them into melodies and grooves. Nothing spectacular, just fun and it felt like very natural music. Then yesterday evening I heard that halarious EJ song that Smash posted. I just was digging the groove.

Basically, I think sometimes you just have to step back and try and look what being a bassist is from different points of view.

Ok, I'm done rambling...I apologize if this has nothing to do with your thread.