1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To keep or not to keep, that is the question. (Ibanez Destroyer content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by christw, Nov 19, 2010.

1. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    I have this cool Ibanez Destroyer that I picked up on a whim when I was on a "build an Explorer fretless" kick. I wanted to use it for inspiration and as a partial design template. The build never panned out so I put on some Roto 66 in place of the gigantic strings that were on the bass and was pleasantly surprised. With the bucker and bridge pickup, it does some Flea funk. It's a mid-heavy monster with on the bucker, and the bridge gets burpy. It'll split into a J+J too. Plus it looks so crazy! But, I know it's not the one for me. It's more of a novelty to both myself and my bands. I don't know if I should keep it or not. I'm also buying a Gibson Explorer bass soon for a decent chunk of cash and this would help...

It's a cool bass, no doubt. It just falls #4 on my list and that's low enough that I'll think of getting rid of it, especially when low on cash. What say you guys? Keep it, marry it, sell it, or carrots?

Also, pics = bass.

IMG_0523.
    IMG_0525.
    IMG_0519.
    IMG_0528.
    IMG_0529.

2. Consider:

What you paid for it vs what you are likely to get. Will you profit, or lose money? Do you like the bass more than you need that amount of money? They're not especially easy to find, but not super rare either. If you miss it you could find another in a few months looking online or sooner - but - you would not know its history or know if the seller is trustworthy.

Are you likely to find yourself playing in places you wouldn't want to take the Gibson? This would be a good stand-in/backup.

I tend to keep something rather than sell it for a fraction of what I paid. I'd rather find a use for an old cheap bass than sell it for $25.

3. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    Sunk cost, my friend. And as for not playing a bass somewhere, I wouldn't own a bass (or other instrument) that I was afraid to take out an use because then it becomes useless to me.

I think I'll put it as FT feeling in the classifieds because I do want an EBMM sub or a cab that'll fit in my car. :smug: