1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To keep or sell? (Warwick vs. Fender)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BioDriver, Nov 20, 2010.

1. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Okay, so I'm a bit confused as to what I should to with my current rig situation, namely in regards to one of my basses.

A few months ago I picked up a Warwick Thumb BO and absolutely love this thing. It's been the only bass I bring to gigs and I've gotten so comfortable playing it that it fits like a glove. Heck, now I'm saving for a custom Streamer Stage II and after that possibly another Warwick!

Since then, however, my Fender J has just been sitting on its stand doing absolutely nothing. Every time I pick it up and play for a few minutes I put it back down and pick up the Thumb instead. While there are some tones I can get out of it that the Thumb is not capable of producing, I shrug them off and use the Thumb anyway, with most people not even knowing the difference.

I know it may seem like I know the answer to this situation, but I feel so bloody guilty letting go of the J. Since they were the first to introduce electric bass guitars I feel as though every bassist should own a Fender bass, so I have issues letting it go. Yet there it sits doing nothing. If you were in my shoes, would you hang on to the Fender for whatever reason or part with a piece of gear that could be used by someone else?

2. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    if you don't play it, let it go... you can always get another Fender later on, if you will want those tones...

3. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Answer yourself honestly - are you really going to play the Fender? If it sits there and you never touch it, then what's the point of keeping it? Personally I'd rather have a bass I want to play and do play than one I want to have for some reason other than playing it.

Sounds like you have had plenty of time to go back to it since getting your Thumb but you still haven't. Sell the Jazz and put the money toward a bass that will be played.

Having said that, let me also say I'm a Fender Fan so I'm not just telling you to ditch a bass I personally don't like. I like them! I've own a P5 now and love it, had a MIM Jazz Deluxe and loved it (was way too heavy or me, the only reason I sold it), and just this week traded an MIA Jazz Deluxe fretless that loved but never played because I simply suck at fretless (in case you're wondering I also got a Warwick for it, an FNA Jazzman :D lol). But I'd love to have another Jazz someday.

4. Consider also, right now you may be going thru waht might be considered a honeymoon period with your Warwick, it being your new "toy" and all. Give it a few more months, and then if you still find yourself playing just the Warwick and ignoring the Jazz, then consider getting rid of it. I've read too many similar stories, where someone favors their new bass, gets rid of their old one, and after a while find themselves bored with the new and wishing they had never got rid of the old one.

5. Definitely +1!

6. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    I know I was glad I kept my Fender and sold the Warwick. A Fender Is like a field surgeon in a battle, tough as nails and not afraid to get low down and dirty. Warwicks are nice and sound great, but I'll take a P or a J over one any day.

7. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    When I bought a Thumb BO in 2005, I never touched my MIA P & Geddy Lee for few months. I loved the Thumb so much that I waxed it every week and that I was going to sell the two Fenders. Guess what? I sold the Thumb last year and still love every minute of playing the two Fenders.

8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    If you're not hurting for money, I'd say hang onto it. It's always a good idea to have a backup bass, even if you think you'll never play it. What happens if your 'Wick needs to go into the shop for some reason? You don't want to find yourself "bassless". ;)

9. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    +1. A backup is always a great thing to have, and if it's not costing you money to keep it there's no harm in it. You can always decide to sell later (and the market may even be imrpoved at that time), but it sucks to be caught wishing you hadn't made a sale.

10. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    If the Fender holds any special place in your heart, then don't sell it unless you really need the money. Unless it is just some random instrument, you will regret it down the road.

11. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    Here's the thing with Warwicks.

You'll love it for a while...then the "honeymoon" is over.Here's where you'll need the Jazz.
    Then, you'll go back to the Warwick after a while, and feel a LOVE for that bass you've never felt before. Then you can sell the Jazz. Or keep it for a backup.

12. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    If you're not hurting for money, hang on to the Jazz.

(I'm 100% avoiding the whole Warwick vs. Fender argument. That's a quagmire.)

Warwicks are cool.
    Fenders are cool.
    They are different and they both do cool stuff.

Even if you get a Streamer Stage II and you turn into a full-on Warwick guy, hang on to the Jazz. You might get into a studio situation where someone (foolishly) demands a Jazz Bass. Or you'll land a gig that requires a more "vintage" look... the Thumb is not "vintage looking" and carries a bit of gnu-school stigma that turns some players off.

(I think Thumbs are awesome. I used to have one, and I miss it from time to time.)

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Unless you have a Model T and a bicycle with a tiny rear wheel and huge front wheel sitting in your garage, you may want to let go of that idea ;) Unless you have a vintage/rare model, a Fender Jazz is one of the easiest basses to replace; they're available everywhere both used and new. If you have any regrets in the future, you can pick up another easily. Might as well use the money for something you might like more.