to kill a mockingbird

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BIG MONTANA, May 16, 2005.

Apr 21, 2005
    north dakota
    CHARACTER NAME Who are they (What is their roll in Maycomb?) What are they like
    (physically/personality)? Use descriptive adjectives! What do they want? If you don’t know, try to guess. Why is this character important to the story?
    Jem Finch Brother to Scout Finch; Son to Atticus Finch Young; athletic He wants to get Boo Radley to come out Helps Scout get through child hood.
    Scout Finch Sister to Jem Finch; Daughter to Atticus Finch Tom boy; short tempered Wants to be accepted the way she is She tells the story
    Atticus Finch Father of Jem and Scout; Important lawyer Has good morals; cares well for his children Wants the best for his children He teaches many people many life lessons
    Calpurnia The Finch’s housekeeper African American Wants the Finch children to turn out right She is helpful to Atticus Finch and his children
    Dill Child from Meridian Mississippi; befriended by Finch children Adventurous He wants to get Boo Radley to come out He grows up and has a strong friendship with the Finch children
    Mr. Radley Finch’s neighbor; Boo’s father Private, cruel Wants to teach his son a lesson He keeps Scout, Jem, and Dill thinking about what goes inside of the Radley house
    Boo Radley Mr. Radley’s son Locked up inside his house To communicate with the Finch children Communicates with Jem and Scout; Saves their lives
    Miss Caroline Scout’s school teacher Thinks of herself as important; frustrated with the children in her class Total attention and respect from her class She tries to tell Scout that Atticus needs to stop teaching her
    Walter Cunningham (and the Cunninghams in general) Walter is Scout’s classmate; Poor; hardworking; kind To keep their pride and dignity. Walter’s father cleared the mob outside of the jailhouse; one of them was on the jury during the Tom Robinson trial and voted him innocent
    Miss Maudie Neighbor to the Finch family Nice to children; has a green thumb; good cook; outgoing People to enjoy her and her garden Acts as a role model for Scout
    Miss Stephanie Neighbor to the Finch family; Gossiper Wants to know everything She spreads news fast
    Aunt Alexandra Sister to Atticus Finch; Aunt to Jem and Scout Finch Self content; proud Scout to act more like a girl Helps Atticus maintain his children
    Cousin Francis Cousin to Scout and Jem Spoiled, provoking Total control Causes conflict between the family during Christmas time
    Mrs. Dubose An old lady whose house is passed by the Finch children on their way into town. Old, cranky women; morphine addict Wants to be free of her addiction to morphine Jem has to read for her as a punishment, and in the process of the reading and Mrs. Dubose’s death, Jem learns a lot
    Uncle Jack Uncle to Scout and Jem Finch; Brother to Atticus Finch. Kind man Wants Scout to stop cursing He helps settle Scout down when she is angry at Francis
    Dolphus Raymond White man who has “mixed” kids and is supposedly a drunk Pretender, kind For people to accept his lifestyle Helps Scout and Dill understand that some people just try to avoid the world

Heck Tate Sheriff of Maycomb Kind; helpful to the Finch Family To keep everything in Maycomb going smoothly Convinces Atticus that Jem didn’t kill Bob Ewell

Bob (Robert Ewell) Father of Mayella Ewell and many other children Abusive; a drunk; white trash For Tom Robinson to be found guilty; Revenge on Atticus Finch and Judge Taylor His daughter was allegedly raped by Tom Robinson; he attacks Jem an Scout on their way home from the pageant

Mayella Ewell Daughter of Bob Ewell Young; mixed-up; white trash People who care for her Accuses Tom Robinson of raping her; cannot keep her story straight in the courtroom

Tom Robinson African American man who is accused of raping Mayella Ewell Crippled; innocent; strong, To be found innocent for the crime he did not commit He is defended by Atticus Finch; supposedly raped Mayella Ewell. He is unfairly found guilty and is killed while trying to escape from prison.

Miss Merriweather A teacher perfectionist Her pageant to be perfect Her pageant was a hit, although she still blamed Scout for ruining it.

Apr 21, 2005
    north dakota
    µµµµµ(5/5 STARS)

This book received all five stars from me. I thought the book was fun, truthful, and heartwarming. I think everyone who has read this book can relate to it. Single parents, African Americans, children, and anyone else who lived during the Great Depression should really be able to relate to this classical tale, as well. This magnificent book deals with growing up, childhood adventures, classroom mishaps, prejudices, and the simple struggles that were faced daily duringThe Great Depression.
    Harper Lee really makes her characters come to life. After you finish reading the book, you feel as if you’ve known the Finch Family all of your life. Almost like you could walk rite into the book and carry on a conversation with the people of Maycomb. She also does a good job of keeping the reader interested. An example of this would be the way she introduced Boo Radley in the beginning of the book, yet we knew nothing about him until the very end.
    Harper Lee is a genius and has a real winner here. I would recommend this book to all, including people who have already read it before!
  3. You should read The Grapes Of Wrath.
  4. I remember in grade 9 we read To Kill A Mockingbird, it was one of the best books they made us read in highschool. I should re-read it, its been some time.
  5. The Catcher In The Rye was the best book they have made me read so far. At first it was To KIll A Mocking Bird, then Grapes of Wrath, then TCITR.
  6. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

feel good about life while reading a classic, read the great gatsby

or other depressing steinbeck books like the pearl, of mice and men, and i think cannery row.
  7. Of Mice and Men was a good one too. man...this brings back many memories of freshman english class.
  8. To Kill A Mockingbird remains the best book I've ever been forced to read. I'm so glad I had the teacher I had- that book came so alive. I've since taken classes and had to study that book, and none was as good as that 8th grade literature class.
  9. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Yeah I liked it a lot too.. 5/5.

My current latin teacher actually used to goto grade school with Harper Lee. He has sat under the tree and everything. Way cool.
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Same here. Apparently, the former Ontario liberal government was trying to get the book taken out of the curriculum because of "sensitive subject matter." Isn't that kind of the point?

Great book, certainly better than No Great Mischief (grade 12 english in Ontario,) although I am enjoying Fifth Business.
  11. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Excellent book, still one of my favourites to this day. I read it in grade 12 English class and remember having a hard time with all the American slang words. I think I should re-read it sometime now that my English's a wee bit better thanks to the Internet. :D
  12. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Me too - I loved that book! so many books have been ruined for me through being forced to read them over and over at school/college, but I really enjoyed that one, very sad at the end too :(
  13. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    read martin eden I would say. Directly into the ocean.
  14. i really enjoyed to kill a mockingbird.
    to me, it was weird. to me, I felt it wasn't really going anywhere, but I always to keep on reading anyway.
    upon reflection kinda opens your eyes a bit more... :)

ive been wanting to catch a copy of Catcher in the Rye, alas, I'm skint. :oops:
  15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

the pearl was awful. about the mexican pearl divers who shot their baby or something?

yeah, that was ...a test of my endurance.

and cheapskate, the catcher in the rye is like $6! :p

Apr 21, 2005
    north dakota
    the first comments were my homework assignments :meh:
  17. I wish they would have made us read To Kill a Mockingbird in High School...I know some people who could have used the lessons that it has to offer. My Dad gave me a copy a few years back and it's one of the best books I've ever read. Atticus Finch is easily one of my favorite literary figures of all time.

I did have to read Of Mice and Men for high school though, and I like that particular book just as much, so I won't think too harshly of my teacher. :)
  18. uhh... maybe you didn't read that book correctly. :eyebrow:

The Great Gatsby is very depressing.
  19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i think he meant that ironically.
  20. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Personally, I believe that highschool teachers should be granted greater academic freedom.

But then again, that's just my opinion.