Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

to loosen the truss rod or not.....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Milothicus, Jul 27, 2005.

1. I'm travelling with my bass from the UK to Canada, and need to put the bass in my suitcase. not ideal, i know, but i need to...

my question is this: now that the neck is off the body, and will be for about the next 30 or so hours, do i loosen the truss rod or leave it at the tension it's set at?

any recommendations?

luthiers, what do you do with necks if you take them off for a day or two to repair bodies?

2. I usually leave them where they're at. You would be surprised at how little tension is usually imparted on the TR when the strings are loosened

3. +1

my carvin made it to Australia 4 years ago unscathed. It was 3 weeks in transit and I didn't catch up with it until about 2 months later, still. I just loosened the strings. When I tuned her back up, I don't recall having to do any major trussrod adjustments.

And when my wishbass shipped over here....oh yeah...no truss rod...hehe....never mind... :D

4. well, took the neck off on wednesday night, put it back on on thursday night, and played a fine show on saturday afternoon. i ended up loosening it about half a turn, and then tightening it to about the same tension after putting the neck/strings back on.

didn't notice much change at all...

crisis averted... or maybe i was just being paranoid.