to make bass give more output

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nunk6, Jan 13, 2001.

1. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    i was wondering if active pickups without tone controls will give the bass higher output; im not really interested in changing tones but i like with active electronics how the output voloume is much higher
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Which bass are you thinkin' of changin' the pups on?...
    Your MIM-P or (is it "GSR") 200?

In either case, you may not have to go active. Don't forget,
    for active pups you need a battery (usu. 9 volt). Is there room in
    either bass for that? If not, you'll have to get busy with a router.

There are a few passive pups (no battery required) that are pretty hot.
    The ¼-Pounder models by Seymour Duncan/Basslines are available in
    P and J types. The DiMarzio Split-P has a high, balanced output and
    the Ultra-Jazz is humbucking with a higher than normal output.
  3. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Active pickups have LOWER output than passive pickups. Actually, the output is so low, that you must amplify it with a pre-amp. If you want higher output, you could do one of two things:

- replace your pickups with those that have higher output. In addition to those mentioned by notduane, I would also suggest G&L pickups, if you can find them.

- add a pre-amp, either an onboard or outboard to boost the signal.

I am not sure how useful all of the above will be, because the final result also depends on your amp. I find that my G&L can produce more output than the input stage of the amp can handle. This would be OK if I had an all-valve amp and wanted that warm, distorted valve sound. With most solid state amps, overdriving the input will result in clipping and distortion which is not pleasant at all, and which could actually bust your speakers.
  4. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    replace your pick-ups with a car battery. yeah.