Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To Metal club players..... on Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by PollyBass, Nov 15, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    So, as a metal bassplayer, ive noticed at gig's, most metal bassplayers jump around have a decent stage presance. but when it gets to the point that it hurts your playing, when do you stay stop? i mean, as a metal bassplayer, is it more importent to look good, or play good? or is their a balance? i say play good, screw looking good. If you play good, it = better music, and better music = people who like it, and the fact that your not running around smashing your head into the drummers floor tom, bass drum, kick drum, whatever. so, metal bassplayers, what do you think is good? i mean, i throw in a jump here and there, head bang (dont mean to, IT JUST comes,..). but when is enough enough. anybody else know the guys i'm talking about?

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Your usualy nervous before a gig, therefore IMO its hard to headbang, and run around, in fear of looking stupid. The first few songs are cool if you dont headbang, but then as the sweat start, and the crowd gets going, (as long as you think your good and you dont suck) its cool to start headbanging. Jumoing up and down is cool. I recently saw a local band who has a kickass bassplayer, the drummer was using his double kick at a pretty fast speed, and the bassist was keeping up perfectly, while headbanging and jumpoing around and doing the stupid faces and the usual stuff.

I guess its just like anything else you approach as a musician, practise makes perfect. But yeah, i think that if there is a really heavy song that just automatically needs bouncing and jumping to, it should be done :D

3. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Focus on your playing rather than what you look like... unless you really WANT to be fieldy. :rolleyes:

If you play like ass, the crowd isn't going to care that you "looked cool" while you were playing like ass.

4. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    id say its mostly down to teh song, as in if its harder to play then stay still.

As our bands only done one gig so far, i didnt move at all really (nerves), but as we progress as a band and i progress within myself and playing of our songs, ill probably become more lively. People tend to like a lively band, especially when its Metal!
    If you really cant move about, get a seperate singer, or invite the crowd onstage (or plan a friend or two to 'pitch-invade' ;) )

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    With metal songs it's highly important to practice the songs - both individually and as a group - until you know them better than the back of your hand. Once you do this, you'll notice that you can play the stuff without looking or thinking about it. THAT is when you can start focusing on stage presence.

As with everything else, the music is more important than the stage presence. If you have good tunes and play them well, the music will speak for itself.

6. most "nu-metal" people may jump up and down, but most thrash/speed/death metal players do not. Personally (and I'm older, and come from the old-school club) I think all the jumping is just stupid. If I want to really annoy my band mates, I start jumping during practice ... heh, it really pushes their buttons.

but if your fans like it, go for it. If you like it, do it. Just dont play clubs with low ceilings.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I thought this was going to be about using a metal club in some creative or interesting way - metal basball bat technique? ;)

But now I see the joke is that it's better to be a "metal" player rather than "wooden"!! :D

8. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i BELIEVE ITS IMPORTANT TO HAVE BOTH BUT i FEEL THAT VISUAL (OOPS sorry for yelling) These days is equally important in a metal scene. I kind of feel that metal is one of the few types of music now adays that can also be performance art; by whatever your definition may be.;)

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Good one!

Or rather... because playing heavy music "tests your metal" :D :eek:

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I unfortunatly am not metal... alas, I am funk metal. I cannot keep up with my fingers OR a pick, when I play fast with a pick it sounds garbage esque.

11. fireworks_god

fireworks_god

Oct 30, 2002
    I read something on this somewhere, sometime, and basically what it said was to know the songs well enough, first of all. Then practice the songs for awhile just standing up, then start walking back and forth, bouncing around, and then headbanging and jumping around.
    It probably works best this way, as a gradual process.

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Wait wait... FUNK METAL?!?!?! You mean the metal you have to have GROOVE and a sense of TIME to play? SCREW that man.:p