1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To mod or not to mod... (Squier VM P5 content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skyline_01, Mar 24, 2020.

1. skyline_01

skyline_01 Jeremy Nichols, Endorsing artist, Nordstrand Audio Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Endorsing artist, Nordstrand Audio
    Looks like there were definitely two different bridge pickups. The coil switching might be off the table then.

- Roscoe Beck V: 0049725000 (4 conductor)
    - Precision Deluxe V: 0056135000 (3 conductor) <----- the one I have

I did email my tech a few days ago and he responded last night. He was familiar with those pickup and said that it was probably the best one that Fender put out. He also said that finding a routing template online may be very difficult but that he could make one if needed for an upcharge. Either way he was optimistic about the pickups matching well and agreed that this mod would be well worth the effort.

lowdownthump likes this.
  2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

I swear I see 4 conductors in your photo in the original post. Black white red green...

skyline_01 likes this.
  3. skyline_01

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Your keen eye did see a green wire, but I failed to mention that it was a stock image from the web that I posted. :banghead:

I looked at it again last night and there are most definitely 3 leads. At this point I'm fine with not being able to do coil switching... I think it was more about the challenge of it and being able to say, "look what I did!". I'm certain it will still sound like a pair of double D's (to quote a friend's expression). :laugh:

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  4. I made a temporary "shoe" that allows me to hold new pickups upside-down over the strings.

I use double faced tape to hold the pickup in place and a set of clip leads to connect in while I test to find the sweet spot with that particular bass.

This has saved me from "routers remorse" on more than one occasion...

In my experience, PJ's and P/MM's work best when the bridge pickup is a little further from the bridge- closer to, but not right up against the edge of the pick guard.

Not only does it produce a nice, burpy tone that seems to compliment the P pickup, but it also helps to reduce the volume imbalance between the neck and bridge pickups.

Malak the Mad and skyline_01 like this.
  5. skyline_01

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    That is a clever idea! I would never think to do anything like that, plus I feel like sometimes I can barely operate a hammer much less build something halfway complex.:laugh:

I will keep that in mind about the pickup spacing. My goal is to get it as close to the older Fender P Deluxe V with the bridge humbucker (but a passive version). It helps that my go-to tech is a superstar (and a bassist too). :thumbsup:

6. It was a case of innovation born out of desperation.

I was building my first scratch built bass, with help from a luthier friend. He was and is an amazing luthier, but didn't really have any experience with basses.

I must have played a hundred basses, making notes on what I liked and what I didn't. One of the few things I wasn't able to quantify, was a predictable correlation between tone and pickup placement. I asked a bunch of luthiers about it, but I couldn't find a consensus.

I procrastinated until the bass was completely ready to play except for the pickup rout.

I briefly thought about a buried track and a sliding pickup, but in the end, the shoe seemed like the simplest solution- just a logical extension of "measure twice, cut once"...

Malak the Mad and skyline_01 like this.
  7. skyline_01

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Sounds like you put in a ton of hard work in your quest! And I'm certain the payoff was considerable.

8. You have the bass, the pickup, the desire and the vision.
    So, yeah, I think you should do it. :thumbsup:

I like the sliding pickup position finder.
    I think Leo do the same thing.
    It's hard to say he might have been wrong.
    I like his choice, but reserve the right to find my own spot, if there is one.

skyline_01 likes this.
  9. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Assuming the silhouette is the same as a five-stringer's pickup, where's the need for a new template, let alone an upcharge? It seems to me all he'd need to do is route out one Jazz-sized space, then slide the template in whichever direction you're going and route out the second half. And if it's still too tight, slide that template a couple of millimeters forward or back to open up a little bit more space. :bored:

10. Rayjay

Rayjay If that’s even my real name.. Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    Do it. But put it in the mudbucker position. :bassist:

skyline_01 likes this.
  11. The payoff was HUGE. Very much a labour of love, and I was incredibly fortunate with the lumber I found for the build. Everything was so nice- perfect black Gaboon ebony for the fingerboard, quilted bubinga for the accents, stellar flamed maple for the body wings. It became my #1 the day it was finished, and I gigged it heavily for the next 20-odd years.

I added a second pickup eventually, and used the shoe to find the best location for that one as well.

Sadly, I had to give it up a while back- it got to be too heavy for my aging back.

Still, it lives on, and my buddy Emmanuel gets some truly righteous tones out of it. This is just the SVT patch in a Zoom MS-60B, straight into a Focusrite interface:

skyline_01 likes this.
  12. skyline_01

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Wow, that thing sounds fantastic, and looks amazing to boot! I'm glad to see that it found a good home with your friend.