Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To mod or to build from scratch?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Jan 23, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I want a 4 string jazz with pickups and swithing like the ones on the Roscoe Beck 5 (but with pickupblend). My alternatives is to buy and mod a Geddy Lee jazz (or other new jazz I like) or to buy and have someone assemble a jazz from Warmothparts. What would you do? I´m sceptic to partsbasses cause you never know what you´ll end with soundwise and playabilitywise. Any other options I should considder?
    I don´t want to wait for fender to make a RB4. It will probably take ages and be out of my pricerange.

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    bump;)

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hey, you don't have "scratch" among the options!

From the available options, I' choose "mod". Just as much work, but could be cheaper.

4. If you know a really good guitar tech or luthier, I would buy Warmoth. I just received my first neck and body from Warmoth and am blown away by the quality. I will have a good tech put it together, wire the PUs and the J-retro preamp, fit the nut and do a complete setup for around $125 US.

It will probably be as expensive if not more than buying off the rack. But, "off the rack" is certainly no guarantee of quality.

Jeff

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Stewart-Macdonald also sells J-Bass parts, but I have no idea if they're as good as Warmoth. They also have info sheets on how to assemble it yourself.

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    "Stewart-Macdonald also sells J-Bass parts, but I have no idea if they're as good as Warmoth. They also have info sheets on how to assemble it yourself."

Do they have a website? A sheet like that would be nice to have.
    Do anyone know of any informative site on how to assemble your own bass from parts?

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Have you tried a G&L L-2000 bass. It sound like that is what you might be looking for also. The only thing is it dosen't have a blend control. Ir has 2 great sounding humbuckers.

8. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Mine has 3 knobs, too. But their Volume, Bass & Trebble.

It has 3 switches also, preamp on/off/high boost, pick-up selector (not a blend) & series parallel.

9. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    You are right Nino...my fault for trying to post at 1am.

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    www.stewmac.com

I know they have schematics of various instruments, but I'm not sure I recall seeing one for an electric bass. But, hey, if you got a hankerin' for a mandolin, you're in luck.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you've got the dough, definitely go and make yer own.

but dont use warmoth, try USA custom. its a bunch of guys who split off from Warmoth to create their own company. and their parts feel waaaaaay better than anything i've seen in a while and fit amazingly well too. also, you can specify lightweight, figuring, etc. very personalized service. they send their finishing also to a bunch of guys who left warmoth (am i sensing a pattern here?) called Roxy. looks pretty top notch to me.

that's what i'm doing now for my jazz bass. tried to find one that suited me, but they were either too expensive or just plain ol' big. so i'm having my tech's put it together, so i know it'll be built well, but also be made of great parts.

www.usacustomguitars.com

12. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I heard od USA Custom guitars. I never ordered anything from them BUT I have 2 GREAT Warmoth basses that FAR surpass any of their Fender counterparts, IMO!!!!! don't over look Warmoth if you're considering building a bass.

<a href="http://community.webtv.net/theorembk/NinosBasses/page5.html">CLICK HERE</a> & <a href="http://community.webtv.net/theorembk/NinosBasses/page6.html">CLICK HERE</a>. :)

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow nino,

nice basses. i gotta ask tho, what size is the '70s bass? regular, or dinky?