1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To mod or to sell. That is the question....(Jag)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vin*tone, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Flip it.

18 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Mod it.

24 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. I'm in 2 minds about my Fender Jag ATM. I love the feel (one of the most comfortable basses I've played), love the look (block inlays mmmmmm...), am pretty happy with the tone, but... I only ever use it in passive mode and wish it had separate pup vols.

I'm thinking a 75RI would fit the bill nicely but am I just being a GAS victim? Trying to mod a stacked vol knob in there shouldn't be too hard.

2. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    If you mod, mod it in a way so you can restore the bass in it's original 'state' so the value won't drop more than necessary. I have a CIJ 75RI that I modded with a BadAss II, Hipshot Ultralites and Fender USA knobs. It was and still is a good bass, and the mods made it even better. But, I recently bought a Sadowsky, and the Fender doesn't see much playing time anymore (neither does my MM Stingray, but since the Sad is a J-type, capable of running passive, there's a bit of an unnecessary overlap). Having two rather identical basses doesn't make much sense to me, and the CIJ will probably be sold in the next couple of days. I kept and reinstalled the original parts.

my $0.02

3. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    If separate vol controls are that important to you, I'd try the stacked knob config. Its a great bass, passive or otherwise. Mod it to your liking and hold on to it.

4. Keep me posted :D

Thanks for the comments guys.

5. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    Ok, I will, but I highly doubt the bass would be interesting to you since it's a lefty :).

6. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Definitely mod it. You like the look and feel of it, it's just an electronics issue (I prefer passive too) which is easily sorted.

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Mod it!
    Pull out all the electronics, rout it out for a MM style pickup in the bridge and a Dimarzio Model one in the neck:p

Or just put in a pair of Dimarzio Ultra jazzes.

8. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    You used the word "love." That means keep it and mod it.

9. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    If you like it that much, keep it and mod it. However I tend to go along with the thought of being able to mod it, but keeping the original parts and perform the mods so that you can return it back to stock in case you decide to sell at a later date. The Jag is a cool bass.
    Moonshine :bassist:

10. Thanks folks. You've convinced me to stick with it.

I just swapped the flats back to rounds and am a lot happier already.

Now- to find the best way to add stacked Vol's.