Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

to modify or not to modify

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Acacia, Jul 25, 2000.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    seems like everywhere I go, people suggest putting active pups and a badass on my MIA Jazz. I am totally happy with the tone and feel of it in its stock form. When I tell the "pros" that I don't want to modify it, they look at me like I'm stupid. screw em!

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    It's your bass, and whatever makes you happy with it is all that really matters. It "might" be better, according to those who scoff at you, but it's your ears that have to live with it (not counting any possible audience, but that's another topic....). I say don't mess with it until you reach the point where you feel you want to.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Throughout your career as a musician you will have people giving you unsolicited "advice." This time, you solicited this advice, so I'll chime right in with an opinion. Don't listen to them...well, listen politely, then do what you want. The bass was made that way for a reason. The reason probably is that the bass maker and most of its buyers like it just the way it is.

Modifying that bass might be a decision you will regret, but have to live with. Billy Sheehan, a bassist whom I admire and respect says that he prefers passive basses because then he doesn't have to be worrying about the battery. If his bass stops working at a concert, that is just one less possibility for why it isn't working.

Actually I find it odd then that he uses a wireless device rather thana cable to his amp, but, anyhoo, a passive bass is fine with him. I frankly don't know why people have to come up after a concert or gig and tell one how they could "improve" their equipment, their tone, their technique, their appearance, their this, their that.

In short, play the bass you want to play. They can play the bass they want to play and the world will be a better place for it.

Jason Oldsted

4. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    You could modify my MIA Jazz when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

-GM, not liking mods

5. If you are looking for what is in style today by all means modify your bass. But remember some day it will be a collectors item. I modified my 1951 "P" bass. Save your money for your next bass.

------------------
    Carl

6. Be very careful. One time I was very upset and "modified" my old fretless p-bass. Turned it into a doubleneck, if you know what I mean. [​IMG]

7. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    This is what I would do.

If the bridge is a string thru body style, then leave it. If not replace the bridge with the Badass II. That is if you're after the additional sustain. If you sell it, you could just simply swap the bridge out and replace with the original.

As far as the pickups go, I would probably leave those in. After all, that's what gives it the traditional Fender Jazz sound.

8. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Acacia:
    I am totally happy with the tone and feel of it in its stock form... screw em!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True...

True

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    OK, so they're telling you what you should do, are they telling you why [​IMG]

Free advice like that is usually worth the price. Unless you're after something the bass currently does not do, why modify it? I see so many people saying that when they get a bass they ordered, a type they have not played before, they plan on immediately modifying it based on other's advice. Sheesh.

Here's what's important: do you like it?
    Also, if you're hired by someone, do they like it?

10. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i have said since i first bought it that i would not modify it.

i loathe GC

11. one, i am for modifying, but not drastically, like upgrading stock MIM pickups for the custom shop fender pickups, but about the loathing the GC thing, i am also a GC hater, there are so many things wrong with them, i dont know why people continue to buy from them, i just get great deals, so i need a cab, but im not sure if i can trust them, cause theyve let me down eveytime ive dealt with them.

sorry for the ranting

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Acacia:
    seems like everywhere I go, people suggest putting active pups and a badass on my MIA Jazz. I am totally happy with the tone and feel of it in its stock form. When I tell the "pros" that I don't want to modify it, they look at me like I'm stupid. screw em!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, i know what you mean. people are always telling me that i don't really need 7 string basses, that nobody needs anything more than a 4 string. burns my biscuits.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------
    you wanna see a frustrated guitarist? let a guitarist try to do something useful on one of my basses. _THAT'S_ a frustrated guitarist.

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Hehehe...Ignore the pros is right! I just ordered a new Yamaha Attitude 10th Anniversary model that I plan on converting to active with a U-Retro preamp.

14. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by john turner:
    yeah, i know what you mean. people are always telling me that i don't really need 7 string basses, that nobody needs anything more than a 4 string. burns my biscuits.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

but is that a NEED? HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHhehehehehehehheehhardyhardyharhar [​IMG]

15. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I think we could probably assume that John's need is more like an addiction! [​IMG]

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Or a sickness.

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you guys are just jealous. [​IMG]

------------------
    you wanna see a frustrated guitarist? let a guitarist try to do something useful on one of my basses. _THAT'S_ a frustrated guitarist.