to much emphisis on other peoples opinions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by geezer316, Jun 18, 2003.

1. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    This isn't a thread to get people all fired up or mad; but, simply an observation of the power of suggestion.

I have been visiting this site and many others like it for just about a year and find it rather odd that people tend to rely on others' opinions and reccomendations rather strongly when choosing a bass or bass related items. My intention is not to knock anyone or bash others, but to convey my point in this subject.

I totally agree that when choosing a bass or acessories it is good to get an idea of the item in question. Finding out as much as possible is a smart idea especially for a beginner, (and all other levels of experience as well). I wish I used this site more when making some of my purchases, but that's another story. What I don't understand most is when someone asks the community what bass to buy when they already know what they are interested in. For example: Which bass should i buy, a P-BASS OR a J-BASS? WHAT COLOR SHOULD I GET? or a STINGRAY OR a STERLING?

These questions are ones of personal preference and not of the level of quality. I just don't understand how somebody could buy a bass soley on the personal opinions of others, especially preferences of color or design, more so than quality. This is what I am trying to understand. I am not saying that one shouldn't do any research and buy the first bass that he or she will see, (or bass related items; amps, strings etc.), or get a bass that doesn't fit your style or musical preference, by any means.

There are important questions to be asked, and they need to be asked. Why get a bass that fits other people preferences and tastes? This is a choice that, when the proper research is done and a few options have been estabilished, should be made completely by the individual, because when you boil it down, it's now that person who is now stuck with this bass that was recommended by others

Please don't take this personally for its not aimed at any one person, its just something I've noticed in many areas of music, not just on this forum. Personally, I think it's great that we have this very informitive site to fall back on should we need direction, and just to have a place to visit and talk with other bass players. The combined experience gathered here from all its members is without equal. This is the most informitive site I have yet to visit and be a part of. I just don't understand how people can depend on others' likes and dislikes to pick a bass color or style. This observation is not towards technical advice or playing technique, but more towards personal preference. I hope I got my message across vividly so everyone understands my position. I hope I didn't offend anyone personally. :D

adam (can't keep his big mouth shut) nuzzo :D
  2. Usually it's not making a choice, it's narrowing one's options. If you want to buy a bass, but haven't ever played, shouldn't you get someone's opinion first? Maybe it's a bass that looks great, but plays terrible, and you would be unhappy with it. Most people take others opinions with them when making large purchases like that, and most of the time it helps them to pick out instruments/cars/houses/whatever that are good for them.

If a bunch of your friends told you that the new Nissan Elantra sucked, would you go test drive one anyway? Porbably not.

Rock on
  3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I really don't think people would actually go out and buy something soley on what people on this or any other board suggest. Unless they live in an area where they simply don't have access to what they're interested in. Like no one here in the DC area carries Sadowsky or Mike Lull so I may ask what the differences are. So through other peoples experiences I may be able to pick something that's right for me. Other than that it may just be that some people need or want affirmation. (SP?) That's my guess
  4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.

Gear related stuff is more objective than opinions on what Anthony Jackson or Hub say in print. It helps to ask opinions and see what people say IME.
  5. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
  6. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    tH3n 4lL tH3 c00l w0uLd 5L1p 0U7 y0
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually it's more SUBJECTIVE. Maybe that's what you meant :D

Opinions on gear are just that, opinions. If the question is related to a fact, like whether a particular piece of gear has a particular feature, that's objective. But a question like "should I buy this?" is so open ended it's ridiculous.
  8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Guess they didn't take it that way. Sensitive bunch of bottom crawlers, aren't they?

Duck, a Munjipunch is enroute!

I take it you meant that some people inappropriately rely on the opinions of others regarding subjective or aesthetic gear decisions?

I just thought I would help you distill this thought into one sentence.

I agree, that is pretty lame!
  9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I agree with this statement as it is - I've bought a fair amount of gear from reviews here at TB for things I simply couldn't get my hands on here in Louisville. The key is to find people whose general tastes you are in agreement with, and to focus on asking them questions. It also helps when you run into an honest salesman who cares about your RETURN business. We have at least one here in (ALL HAIL) Bob Gollihur, and I've learned that I can pretty much trust what he says, as he's never steered me wrong. If you run into the average type of salesperson who doesn't care about your return business, then you'll more likely end up RETURNING the item you order.
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  11. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think it's alright as long as you are looking at things from a more objective or analytical way. I think it all starts with how you ask the question. If I'm interested in a bass, I'm not going to ask "Hey is this bass any good". That's pretty broad. I'm going to say "I'm looking for a bass with a clean low end, but smooth mids, I like tight string spacing, and it I want active electronics, do you think this bass would suit my needs, if not, could you recommend a bass that would?"
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    opinions are overrated.
  13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Opinions are like Onions, just without Pi.
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I kind of agree... a lot of people should learn to trust their own senses. That said:

There are always a lot of people asking "WHAT IS THE BEST ___?" It's a nOOb question, but hey, we all had to start from scratch. Usually they're coaxed to help out with some clues: music style, price range, etc.

Then we get people who ask more specific questions, e.g. "Fender or Warwick?" This isn't just personal preference. WRT a bass, the choice can be narrowed through understanding of the facts: passive or active, neck profile, string spacing, average weight, etc.

Once you've been here for awhile you learn which members have preferences similar to yours, and even their most subjective opinions can help tremendously.
  15. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    sorry about the puntuation i did'nt realize i was amoungst such intelligent bass players:D .LOL !but most of you got what i said,i'm not gonna get all huffy about the proper writing, so i say thanks to all who contributed :D
  16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Hyundai builds the Elantra, not Nissan.;)
  17. stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    i total agree with you to eachs own

the first thing i asked when i got here was whats the best dead toned string, the anser i got was elixir... some of you may say diffrent, but i figure theres so may of us here we would have had to play every string out there.... so i gave it a shot

and i love them
  18. Geezer316, I understand where you're coming from.
    What immediately came to mind while reading your post was: Some people, and THEY can be found anywhere, just can not make up their minds easily about anything. They want to hear the opinions of others just on the odd chance that they might hear an idea that had never occured to them; two heads are better than one.

Another possibility is that they may be sitting on the fence considering two particular basses, and they're letting public opinion make the final decision.

The third is simply to ask if a particular instrument has any flaws which are only known to someone that owns one, flaws which may be almost impossible to notice during the relatively short amount of time most of us get while checking out a bass in person.

Even the color opinion can matter to some people. A certain color may be *out* amongst the heavy metal crowd, while another color is considered to be more *in.*

If you constantly ask the opinions of others on almost every issue, you may tend to become indecisive in life; not seeking the opinions of others on anything can tend to make one close-minded, and excessively close-minded people are generally not too popular with anyone.

Hey, we're all human. ;)

19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The question is good.

But what are your choices???

"Bass Player" magazine reviews suck like a Hoover vacuum --- they haven't paid for the reviewed gear out of their paychecks and they either;

> play a P.O.S. bass through a Stewart World 2.1 amp/Aguilar preamp/Kern/Bergantino/EA/Epifani 4x10

- OR -

> they get a jerkass amp and run an exquisite Elrick/Veilette-Citron/Turner/Sadowsky/vintage J-bass through it.

Those guys haven't been in touch with the real working-bassist's gear since I can't remember.

At least here, we have real working bassists, laying out hard-earned cash for something as seemingly "cheap" as strings.

This is where the "rubber meets the road", not some jerk who gets to play in Bass Disneyland for free.