To much EQ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Warwickthumb, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Ok heres my problem. Im very happy with the bass i bought. It has alot better active electronics then my other one. But, im having a problem with settings. Ive spent years trying to find something I like, and I think might just have it now. BUt is there such a thing as to much eq? Ok I have a vintage solid state head. It just has bass, mid and high knobs. My bass has bass(boost/cut) HIgh(boost/cut) Mid (boost/cut) and mid frequency dial. I always ran my head full bass, treble around 5 or 6 and mid at 3. It sounds lie crap. So i forced myself to turn those down, and bring out the mids. I like it alot!!! But what about my bass? I tried turning the amp to all 0's and using my bass the eq, that kinda worked. I love the punchy bass, but i still want good lows, and when I go higer up the nck, that the notes dont sound muddy, which they do for some reason. So I need a good setting for good ole finger style, and one for some slap bass.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, there is such a thing as "too much EQ." Sometimes its the same thing as "any EQ." Start with everything flat on both the bass and amp. Now working only with the bass, add a little bottom, then maybe a little mid. The key word is "little." You have to play around with it one band at a time, a little bit at a time.

Once you're as close to your tone as you can get, go to the amp for a little more of whichever band (low, mid, treble) gave you the best results. If you're cranking any of your EQ more than one or two ticks on either the bass or the amp, you're headed for sonic doom. Also, try cutting the bands that you didn't boost, and leave the boosted ones flat. Many times, cut works better than boost.

So anyway, what the hell kind of bass is it?
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I often see people killing their tone with too much EQ, specifically sucking out the mids and boosting the treble and bass (guitar players are notorious for this). What these guys don't seem to realize is that though it may sound good when you are close to the amp playing by yourself, nobody can tell what notes you are playing when they are 10 feet away, and you dissappear as soon as another instrument joins in. When you cut out your mids, you cut out the note. Bass and treble are mostly flub and hiss, and are meant to augment the original tone, not replace it. I find that the tone lives in the mid control, and that control has the most impact on the overall sound.

Go easy on the EQ.
  4. Well I got an amp for this rig, so that head i was using is goign back with the other stack. This Ampeg B2R should do. Back to the eq stuff. The saw a question for type of bass I have. ITs an Ibanez BTB. Sounds relly good actually. Now I have to figure out how to set my bass, and this new ampeg head. Basstriaxis you are right about mids. Before I thought well im playing bass so lets crank up the bass freq. Years later I se why my rig sounded like muddy crap. THose mids add alot, and this mid freq adjuster on the bass guitar adds more definition to it too. It sounds alot beter then my warwick thumb sounded.
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've found that finding a setting that works for both slap and finger style always ends up being a compromise with neither sound being perfect. I got around this by adding a EQ pedal. I set the EQ on my amp and bass for finger style. When it's time to slap, step on the EQ pedal and POW, perfect slap tone as well.