Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

to much tension

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MarztekMilita, Feb 15, 2005.

1. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    i got a Rouge somethin LH that is really great and feels very comfortable except there is to much space between the strings and fretboard and it henders when i try to play standing up and using my pinky
    so if there is anything that anyone has to offer
    please feal free to let me noe

2. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    not sure if this is the right forum for this post if not let me noe

3. Seriously dude, try spell check. If you can't put forth the effort to ask a question right, why should anyone put forth the effort to answer it?

It sounds like your bass needs a setup. Is there more space between the strings and the fretboard around the 12th fret (the two dots)? Then your neck could use adjustment-

4. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Sounds like you need to have the neck truss rod adjusted. It sounds like it needs to be tighter, to bring the strings down to the fretboard. But there are other adjustments that may need to balance out the string "action" you want. First, decide on what strings you want to use, then take your bass to a music store and tell them you want a "setup" and "intonation" on your bass with new "xxxxx" strings. Then continue to use those strings.

Figure out by playing other basses in the store what action you like. Low, medium, medium low, etc.

Ok, when you stand up, even with lower action, you may need the bass to be higher so you can use your pinky better, and/or, you may need to change how you position your fretting hand. I realize that this may not seem cool to you, but when I stand and use a strap, my bass is at the exact same position as when I am sitting. When my fretting hand is relaxed and ready to play on the fretboard, the places were each finger is attached to the hand are equal distant from the G string. My finger tips are all near the strings. I see many bass players who point their pinky out away from the neck and then try to stretch it to the fretboard. That is a weak and slow position. Your tone and speed will suffer.

tim99.

5. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Oh, and welcome to talkbass.

6. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    thanks G.B. and tim
    my old bass is an Ibanez and its about medium-low and is very comfortable to play standing up
    i will hane my bass looked at

P.S.
    where is the spell check here, seriously