to much tube distortion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by violatedppl, Jul 13, 2005.

1. I just got a peavey Tmax :bassist: and I pluged it in today and started playing I got a pretty good tone, but it still needs work but. When I play through the tube pre I get more dist/fuzz than I would like, I would perfure more of a calm slight overdrive just to give to little more growl to my tone but All I can really get out of it is a dist tone. even with the pre gain on one or less it still distorts and according to peavey it shouldnt dist until 3. So I dont know If the tube is going out, or what and thats Why I am here asking. I have played on full tube head before and they all sounded cleaner than this. :help:
  2. thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    I believe that is the nature of the beast. If you got it new, go play one like it at the store. If you got it used, you may be right about retubeing.
  3. DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    Is there a pad or low gain input that you can use on that unit? I'm just wondering if your bass has a bit too much output for the first gain stage to handle and it's distorting right at the front, "slamming the input" so to speak..
  4. Good point. Good news... You can simulate an input pad by.... turning down the volume on the bass.

And since you get clean tone out of the other channel, its definitely the tube channel, not the amp output or speaker that's distorting.

Its probably only a 12ax7 or two on the tube channel, those are cheap, you can try a new one without much pain.