Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To much?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dragen, Nov 27, 2000.

1. Dragen

Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    A studio near where I live can record a CD for us (my band) for about 6000$, which includes about 120 hours in the studio and 500 copies of the CD. Is that much r reasonable?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Around the Boston, MA area, the 500 CDs would cost about $650 (price can be higher depending on whether you want color artwork, etc. Price can also vary depending on whether they are real CDs or just CD-Rs. Anyway, that leaves 120 hours of studio time for $5350 which is about $45 an hour. That's reasonable IF it's a GOOD studio.

I'm not too crazy about package pricing because it puts you under pressure...what if 120 hours isn't enough? I spent ten hours doing a quick three song demo (three sessions: basic tracks, vocal overdubs and final mix), if you're talking a full length CD it would be easy to eat 120 hours up and still not be done.

The important thing is what is their track record (i.e have you heard CDs done there, have you spoken with other people who have recorded there)?

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Whether it's reasonable or not is largely contingent on whether the master sounds like what you and your band envisioned or thought you'd sound like. Get into the booth a.s.a.p. after laying down the tracks and see how it sounds. In my admittedly limited experience, some package deal engineers set their levels where you sound like they think you should sound instead of using some of that studio time to sit down, listen to you and get a sense of what you are trying to acccomplish. Talk a little music, who/what bands are your inflences and see if the engineer is just a gearhead. Some of the ones I've run into are. In one session, the master came out like "featuring rickbass accompanied by some backup musicians," (not what we wanted at all), because, he said, I could define my session goals with more clarity than the other musicians.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 11-27-2000 at 02:24 PM]