To Music Man, Or not to Music Man.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OrioN_2k, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Are they "the real deal?" As a internet person told me?
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999

THe build quality is excellent. Neck pocket is good, 6 bolts fills one with confidence. Paint job has no orange peel overspray.

If your guitarist is a bucker marshall man then the MM will cut through. I find that its a struggle to make it sound mellow. I have have always had another bass (currently Warwick Thumb) whilst I have owned it.

Yes they are the real deal but as a sole bass?
  3. musicman!

Very steady and reliable bass,, useful for many situations. great sound, balance and feel..

definately to musicman.

4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I think its the real deal bass... excellent sound... Musicman surely a great beast :)
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Try them. Do you like the way they feel and sound? I know I don't, but if you do, they're a great choice.
  6. They feel good, they sound Godlike. The only problem is the $$$, but I don't mind paying extra 2 3 4 hundred dollars for quality.
  7. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    If you feel that way about them you will not regret the investment. Save up and buy one, or look for one on the used gear market.
  8. i think the key to making the ray sound mello is improving one's touch on the instrument and dialling in a good fingerstyle tone.
  9. ButtBass

Nov 14, 2001
    I have a stingray and I have no trouble making it sound mellow. Actually, that is how I play it more often then not. My EQ has alot to do with it though. I have it sounding very oldschool. I used to have flatwounds on it now I just have regular strings. I guess what i'm saying it can be versitile and I'd reccomend one to anyone.
  10. I just bought a Stingray a week ago. They don't have any bells or whistles, but, they put out a bass sound that will fit any kind of music. Yes, you can get mellow sounds out of them. If you hold one you'll understand the quality thing. You do get what you pay for. Get one.

Mike J.
  11. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I think MMs are great. The construction quality is awesome and they come in some really cool finishes. The only thing that bugs some people about them is their agressive tone and how the Stingray has a really chunky neck. (not as chunky as the Fender Precision though)
  12. I love my stingray - best bass I've ever owned. Contrary to the "one trick pony" label it often gets, I find it to be a very versatile instrument. I currently play many styles - rock, pop, jazz, r&b, disco, country, oldies, etc. all on the stingray. A small technique and/or eq change is all that's required.

Stingrays definitely have a distinct signature sound, but that doesn't make then non versatile. I say go for it. :)
  13. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    I've had mine for a short time but I agree fully with the positive posts here.

For me, I wouldn't mind an extra pound in weight to the body and, while used to Jazz necks, I don't find the StingRay neck to be at all chunky. It's very fast and comfortable for me.
  14. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Do it!! Do it!! If sound "Godlike" to you and feel awesome, then splurge and get one. I gaurantee that their quality will not dissapoint you. I've had mine for a short time and like many others, I saved up all summer for it. Checked out lots of basses and narrowed it down to a Stingray, a Spector NSCR 4, and a Peavey Cirrus. As someone eloquently put it "if you don't get the Stingray now, you'll want one later". I took his advice and have no regrets whatsoever in the decision I made:)
  15. What about the B string? Do they tend to flop around alot or is it nice and tight?
    The one that I tried wasn't too bad, but it was used and I would prefer a new one.
  16. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I thought the B string was great, but I hated the fact that the body was so damn big!!! If they made a 5 in a similiar size to a Sterling, it would probably be my main bass....
  17. Well I'm a big guy so the physical size wont be a problem.
  18. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Cool, I am big(fat), but I am short(5'9"), so it looked and felt pretty awkward. Also, the 34" scale was a little difficult to get used to. But all in all, one of the best basses I have ever owned. And it blew away my Lakland in tone....
  19. With that list of awesome basses, I think the same can be said of the other two. :)
  20. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    The B on the Stingray 5 is one of the best. You should check out the 5 string shootout--they gave it the highest rating even though it was up against some $5000+ botique basses. Its hands down the best 5 ive ever played.