To Music Man, Or not to Music Man.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OrioN_2k, Dec 14, 2001.

1. I'm definitely in agreement there! The B on my Stingray 5 is simply amazing! It's tight and very defined. If I weren't a Spector convert, the 'Ray 5 would be my main bass for sure.

2. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I had one. Extremely well made for a production bass. Very versatile with the three-way eq and switch. Fast luxurious feel on the neck. Fat sound. The answer to your question is yes to MM. Can't go wrong, but buy used.

3. I read the review but have another question. How often do the batteries need to be changed for the onboard EQ?

4. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The battery will last you at least a couple months.

5. I love my stingray. I think its one of those instruments that if ou dont love it to begin with, it grows on you, and quickly! The Piezo pickups are a good addition if you've got a little bit extra cash, but i'm sure you'd be fine without the piezos. IMO Stingrays are truely beautiful. Oh, and one last thing, it'll last you a long time, Ray's are strong! Mine went through a wall.. not my fault really, i swear! that was the headstock! but i suppose that's a story for another time. Go used if you're strapped for cash.
    Chris

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    They're a good bass, good construction and tone, excellent for slap/pop. Very versatile bass, Ive seen them used in Rock, Country, Pop, Punk, genre's for the most part.

7. Tell the story, I gotta hear this!

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I've been through a lot of basses in 2 decades plus, but most were flavors-of-the-week. My Music Mans were my go-to basses until I switched to 5-string.

The only reason I don't own a Stingray 5 is that the string spacing is too narrow for me. I fell in love with the look and tone of a Burnt Apple 'Ray 5 at Guitar Center recently, but I just couldn't get comfortable on the fingerboard. But that's just me being picky... if you've tried it and like it then go get it. Music Mans are rock solid.

9. Well thank you all for your help on this topic, this gives me many ideas.

10. I too, am a Music Man convert and couldn't be happier. Owned many "boutique" basses. Got rid of them all in favor of the MM. Here's my reasons:

1. Built like a tank
    2. Excellent finish and superior fret work.
    3. Balance. I like the neck at a >45 degree angle. The MM, with it's heavy body, stays where I put it. Neck high/body low. The "P" style string spacing is perfect for me.
    4. With the piezo bridge and TI flatwounds, I get just the sound I'm looking for for hip hop/reggae/r&b.

I'm not knocking "custom" basses. But with the MM you get custom features/workmanship for not a lot of money. In the event you have a question, you can call the company toll free and actually talk to someone.

peace

11. Absolutely, I've owned two now - latest is an Ernie Ball MM with 3 band eq.
    They serve me well for most cover music (which I mostly play). I've owned Rickenbacker, Gibson, Samick, Fender but came back to MM.
    Have to admit it may be the design as much as the sound.
    They sell for NZ$3000 here. I got mine for $2100 before the exchange rate went stupid.

12. ah, sorry i didnt get back to you on this sooner i havent checked this thread in a while, but yeah okay, so my band had a gig in a church's basement, it's finished and everything, pretty nice place, great PA so we have a really great instrumental part in one song, and me with my wireless i decide to run around a little and look cool, haha just kidding, and it being a pop-punk kinda band, there was some craziness going on and i actually got pushed by another band's guitarist, right into the wall, it didnt really hurt that much but it did seriously leave a big hole (well more liek half a hole, half an indentation at the angle i went in on) in the rough shape of the MM headstock! and the only problem with the headstock was like a little chip in the clear coat on the top it was pretty amazing, stayed in tune somehow too, but i couldnt stop laughing so i really screwed up the end of that song me being the lead singer and all! ah, the great stories i love pop-punk, so fun yet it can get so angry sometimes! maybe i'll start posting all my fun gig stories in that forum. god bless the suburbs! So yeah, MM Stingrays are STRONG, they can go through walls and leave with hardly anything wrong with them! buy one, find out for yourself! I'd bet an OLP cant go through a wall yeah HA OLPs! (I take no responsibility for anyone who tries to put their stingray through a wall and fails)
    Chris

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm finding my Sterling is the most versatile bass I own!

14. joel the bass player

joel the bass player Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Omaha, NE
    I love my Stingray, and am currently planning on getting a Stingray 5. I really like the sound and feel of the basses, and are impressed with their quality. If only I had $1200 right now!

jtbp

15. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I love my ray'5.. the sound is so excellent. the "stingray" tonefits almost any style of music.. I don't think the stingray is a one trick pony. lots of things you can do with this bass.. I went from playing a steinberger bass (string spacing so close on these things its almost like a guitar) so the narrow string spacing doesn't bother me at all.. its not terribly narrow i don't think.. but I say If the MM is a bass you love as much as I do. go grab you one. you won't be dissapointed.. I used to not like Stingrays when I first started playing.. but then I realized what I thought was a Stingray was a jay turser copy.. when I finally picked up a real ray.. i almost cried.. :)

16. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    A used Stingray is on my current wish-list, so I'll get back to you if/when I pick one up.

17. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Uh, like, you *do* know this thread is almost three years old, don't you?

18. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Agreed, Coincidentally I have a stingray and Warwick Thumb at the moment!!

19. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Whoops sorry Guys, didnt realise the dates on this thread :rolleyes:

20. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey, it's back in play now... go for it!