To Music Man, Or not to Music Man.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OrioN_2k, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Not sure what to tell you, man. But as long as you've got a bass that works for you, then that's what matters.

2. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    YEAP!!
    +1 chris

3. WOW! 3 YEARS LATER !!!

I still have my 'Ray, and still love it !!! :bassist:

What a mind-blower! :eek:

Mike :cool:

4. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Had a nice ray, but dumped it after trying to like it for a year. It had too much high end, and not enough thump for me. I also couldn't get it to respond enough to differences in my playing style (although I would attribute part of that to my lack of ability more than the instrument itself). But there is just something about an active bass that I just can"t get into. Had 'em, tried to like em, got rid of em all, including a very Fenderish active, a Sadowsky. I am very happy with my passive Fenders through an SVT.

5. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Im hoping to get one soon but I also have a jazz bass on hand too just in case I need something a little warmer, I think its a good combo, so I say yes, get one.

6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I use my ray for dub... as the first choice. And I don't roll the treble down on the bass. That's the wrong approach.

I stick it through an Dod FX25 pedal with the sensitivity wound right down and get the fattest dubbiest sound you can imagine.

7. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I LOVE BRINGING BACK OLD POSTS!! Shows I do my searches. I am 95% sure of pulling the trigger on a new Sterling. I do agree with that trebly\glassy thing on some, maybe a lot of MM. Its definetely not a one bass fits all but if you expect that you'll be dissapointed. It fits my current band style and if I switch bands I may need to go another direction, I wont sell it because I may need that tone again. I may need another bass for non pick songs though. I'll keep yall informed about the final test drive tommorow,
    KEEP THE POST ALIVE!

8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I played some nice ones today, Really a great instrument, but I had problems with the Neck profile, and the String spacing... But thats subjective.

9. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    If you fiddle around enough I find you can get a great punchy finger tone. Whether that's what your after is another question.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love my sterling, ahhh so much.

11. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    The complete ASS at the store P.M Blues Music in RI, an EBAY seller was an absolute jerk & I refused to buy the Sterling from him... I will give a full story on that soon.
    The Sterling was great though :) Need to find another good deal

12. Bassnw is a great place with good prices, just got a new svp cl preamp. 50 bucks less than anywhere else I could find.

I had that problem with the locals around here, trying to play a MM stingray as a matter of fact (INCREDIBLE BASS!!). I want one so bad, but i cant go play it there until I have the money cuz the guy was a complete jerk about me trying to play with a friend in the store at low volumes to get a feel of the sound with his acoustic. Oh well, got what I needed, and now Im absolutely hooked.

13. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    i've got a stingray and love it. for a "production" bass, it's as close to custom as you're gonna get. the fit and finish is perfect and it balances great for me probably due to the heavy body. with a little work, you can get all kinds of cool sounds out of it. however, it may not be for you. try before you buy or buy one where you can take it back if you don't like it.

14. 0557

Apr 12, 2004
    My experience with Ernie Ball has been great. Customer service has called me back every time to follow up with any problem I have had....and problems with musicmans are rare!

rick

15. Why is everyone comparing a Sterling to a Jazz? I thought Jazz had a trebly sound like a Ray/Sterling? If you like one wouldnt you like the other? I mean, shouldnt they be compared to a P-Bass instead?

16. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Yo, I just put down $150 on an SUB. Oh, my goodness, the tone is incredible. $600 more to go next week. I'm mapping out my finances now. If I can't pull the trigger, then I'll get a $150 gig bag.

I've tried other MMSUB's elsewhere, but I didn't like them. I realized that the setups of the basses at the "elsewhere stores" were not good. At the store I tried it at yesterday, it's perfect!!!!!!!

Come on, y'all, get me to save my $600!!!!!! :D I didn't tell you all that I'm pursuing my masters, and a grad student's got to know his limitations......... :D

17. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    *yawning, stretching, etc*

The Sterling PROFILE is closer to that of a Jazz. The Stingray profile - I'm talking mostly neck here - is closer to that of a P bass. Although neither is really very close, people tend to explain it that way so the old Fenderphiles can grasp it.

I mean, who can't understand the diff between a J and P neck, right? Heck, even I can do that.

Trebly sound? These are basses. Treble is for guitarists or those guys with the cymbals. I have a couple of jazz basses, none of them sound "trebly". I also have some Stingrays and have owned three or four Sterlings. NOT TREBLY.

Why do so many people seem to think that certain basses are only good for clanking and slapping and zing?

I never understood this.

18. Last christmas I bought a new fretless stingray 5 from basscentral, its an amazing bass, you can dial almost any sound from it as some have mention, but you will have to rely more on your technique then on the bass electronics, although they do help, but maybe not as much as a two pickup bass. Its realy an excellent instrument you cant go wrong with it.

Here is two sound clips of the bass with different switch postions and equalization. (stingrayfretless1 and stingrayfretless2)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/writePage.cfm?myType=music&bandid=122638&bandnamesave=myrecordings

19. User458468

User458468 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    IMHO, in its class, there's not much else out there that compares with the Music Man pieces. Lakland comes to mind as another contender for similar reasons, but that's a post for another thread.

As a proud MM dealer I've found that their customer service is second to none and they REALLY care about EVERY instrument that leaves their door. In a day when we're looking for "dream machines", I don't think that you could do much better than MM. And that goes from the SUB all the way to the Bongo. Each of their pieces fits a niche, an extremely broad one, but a niche nonetheless. They're for players who want to move away from what everyone else is doing and yet keep the personality that created MM in the first place.

They don't have six thousand variations on a theme and they listen to what their "family" of players and dealers has to say. Again, IMHO, you can't do better than dealing with a company which thinks like that. :)

To you NEWBIES, pick up a SUB---you'll have a tough time putting it down. :^>) :hyper:

20. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Just for newbies????????? :hyper: :D