To my TB friends...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hambone, Oct 12, 2005.

1. There come times in our lives when things become just a little too much for us to handle solely on our own and we need help from our friends and family in the worst way to deal with the problems. My family is now in such a place and I would like to ask for your thoughts and prayers. My prayers are but one voice but all of ours are a chorus and it can only help.

For the last 2 months my wife, Debbie, has been quite ill with a condition called ITP (Immuno Thrombocytopenia Prura) or the severe reduction of platelets in her blood. This is the closest diagnois that fits the symptoms though it is flawed in a couple of areas. She is known in our circles as quite a mystery. Where a normal "low" count for an ITP patient would be somewhere around 30k (parts per ml), her counts have been consistently below 14 and as low as 7. Low platelets inhibits the body's ability to stop bleeding and Debbie's extremely low counts exposes her to the risk of brain hemorrhage or internal bleeding. That's the good news. Yesterday and today, we've been chasing a new development that is pointing to a much more sinister disease. It appears that she has, almost overnight, developed AML or Acute Myelogenic Leukemia. This would be a secondary leukemia likely a result of her earlier treatments for CML (Chronic Myelogenic Leukemia) in 1998 when she had a bone marrow transplant and has been leukemia free since 2003. We are awaiting results of a latest marrow biopsy that will give us a more definitive answer but yesterdays labs weren't encouraging. The doubling of the white cell count and the presence of immature white cells (myeloblasts) in the last 2 weeks is such a change that it is troubling our Oncology and Hematology experts. Best indications are that this either an M1 or an M5 case.

Though this is not entirely unexpected, it never comes as easy news. We've been prepared for an illness to take her because we always assumed that it wouldn't be leukemia that causes her demise - at least that's been the conventional wisdom from day one since the successful marrow transplant. However, to have the AML diagnosis thrust upon us has thrown us a little. We are however prepared for the fight. We've done this before and we'll do it again. Both Deb and myself are pragmatic fighters that do what we need to do without complaining and bitching. God is with us and we'll hand it all over to him to make the calls while we do what we need to do to make it right down here. For that you all don't need to worry. But please keep us in your thoughts, I think of you as my extended family and whereas I wouldn't dream of bothering you with the small nuisances in my life, these monster sized troubles need the help of a gang and that's why I call on you for help.

Thank you and God bless each of you.
  2. My thoughts for you and Deb in these trying times. Be strong for each other.
  3. yeah, good luck to you and your wife! i hope that you both can beat ITP!
    my prayers are with you!
  4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

sorry to hear about your troubles ...

be strong , and may God bless your family .
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'll be sending up prayers for you and your wife. Have faith, God has a plan in everything.
  6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    All of my best to you and your family. Keep on fighting, and we'll be here for you if you need it.
  7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hammy, sheesh dude...

Give Deb a hug from me, she is such a sweet lady (has to be to put up with you! ;) ), and treated me with great kindness the times that I met her. You are strong people, I have confidence you will all make it through.

My thoughts are with her and your family, please let me know if there is anything I can do.
  8. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    All my best to your wife and your family in getting through this successfully, Hambone! Best of luck!!
  9. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    God bless bro, to your family especially....
  10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Allan, my prayers go out to you and Deb.

If you need to vent, talk, need specific help or prayers, please do not hesitate to ask.
  11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Without question. :(
  12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Dude, You guys are in my prayers, all though I must admit I've been struggling with that "faith" thing myself a lot lately.
  13. x1000.

so sorry to hear, Al'. I'm pretty lost for words :meh: . Best of luck. :(

keep rockin', i hope she pulls through..
  14. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Those are some very unfortunate developments. I'll be praying for you and your wife and both of your families.
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I've got your back and stuff. Y'all won't be flying solo on this one. That's how we do it here at Rex Kwan Do. :D

16. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I have been through very similar dire situations twice with my wife (different disease but similar tough prognosis) and the prayers of our many friends and contacts were, I believe, invaluable in assisting in her recovery.

Be assured of prayers of both my wife and me, and we'll be sure to include your wife in our prayer circle. Chin up, Allan, keep the positive energy flowing ...........
  17. Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I do hope you know that they do me as much good as they do her. Here's a pic I took last night. She's a little tired since she had a bunch of benedryl from getting 2 units of platelets but that doesn't account for the seemingly hallucenogenic scene...

That's the near 300 lb. "Bugs Bunny" called Brian, my son in his senior costume for today. :rollno: :D
  18. You and your family are in my thoughts, Hammy. Let me know if there's anything I can do, even if it's just comin' over to the workshop and hangin' out for a bit.
  19. plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i lost my mom almost 4 years ago to cancer of the esophogus [sic]. i know how hard this sort of thing can be. i didnt pick up my bass for over a year afterwards. i wont say i know how you feel or anything like that because i dont. it always makes the person feel worse. even though we have never met if there is anything i can do to help you and your family let me know. my sister is a minister in florida, jacksonville to be exact. i'll have her put you guys on her prayer call. although my sister and i are at opposite ends of the belief spectrum, i believe every little bit helps. take care and good vibes being sent your way.
    dave takis
  20. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Hi Hambone
    Sorry to hear about your troubles...makes everything seem so small.

Today it's "Yom kipur" here in Israel for the jewish people.
    On this day people fast and pray for god asking for his forgivness for all the bad things we done this passing year.
    I'm not religious and i don't fast but i do believe that on this day god opens his gates up there and listen to our prayers.
    Tonight i'll prayer for debbie...i hope god will hear me and help her.
    Wish her all the strong.