Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To octive or not to octive......

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by davegr8house, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Hello Steve,
    I heard a cd the other day and Bill Dickens"god i hope i spelled that right" was the bass player. His sound was so punchy and tight. I was told he used an octive effect.I really don`t know much about them. Does he use this and does he use any other effects to get that sound. Thank you for your time.

David

-------------------------------------------------
    If the world didn`t suck we would all fall off

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi David,

sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been away gigging rather a lot of the last couple of months...

Bill uses, I think, an Eventide Harmoniser for a lot of his effects, so certainly has access to all manner of amazing pitch changing sounds, so I would guess that at least part of the time he's using an octave effect. It's a great sound, and one that's used by a heck of a lot of bassists, so much so that Ashdown saw fit to build on into their amp heads and combos (and a damn fine octaver it is too...)

hope that helps - check out Bill's website (can't remember the URL, but something about bass and buddha I seem to recall...)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. Thank you Steve. I`ll check that out.

Dave

--------------------------------------------------

If the world didn`t suck we would all fall off