To , Oil or Not To Oil, That is Question ..!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ZenBass, Jun 27, 2004.

1. So here's my 3/4 Finished Bass Project :)...

Woods are

Black American Walnut Front
    AAAA Seycamore Back
    Ebony Fingerboard
    Ebony Headstock

Maple/Walut/Maple Thru-Neck

some Pics

I am wondering...

Shall I Tung-Oil the Wood
    Satin Lacquer over a Polyester Bass or a
    Polyurethane gloss??....

Maple needs some protection...what do you all think ??...

Thanks for looking :)
  2. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    wasnt that bass just for sale on ebay??
  3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Tung oil will protect your bass fine, but do you have access to a spray rig? If you have access to a spray rig/spray booth, then why not go for a lacquer finish? Just one more useful skill you can work on. If you do not have access to a reasonable spray booth and/or spray rig, or if you really want the feel of the wood under your fingers, then go for the oil finish. Cleaning the maple on the back of the neck is easy enough if it gets dirty.
  4. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    where can i get tung oil and jow much does it cost. could i use Linseed oil intead of it?
  5. Hey,

Yes the Bass was on Ebay just :).. I havent got it yet..the guy hasnt come bk to me.. :(...

I have access to a spray booth probably :)....i have contacts with Jon Shuker and a good cabinet Maker....

The only thing I have noticed and I am fool for not seein it before is ther doesnt appear to be any trussrod....??

might have to get one installed...

Oil finish would be nice as well...just have to take care of it ala warwick :)...

any more thougths??
  6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Buy a tung oil varnish mix at your local hardware store. Most places sell Formsby's or Watco. Shouldn't be more than $10 for a pint to a quart. Boiled linseed oil makes a good finish as well. Don't buy either pure linseed or pure tung. Both of these have a very long cure time compared to the oil/varnish blends.
  7. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!