Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To owners of 100-watt all tube heads...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, Nov 19, 2003.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Do you find that it is enough to keep up with a drummer and a guitarist (using 30 watt tube amp), even when pushing the tubes into overdrive?

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    My old Sunn is rated 120 watts and keeps up fine. I don't think I have ever had to push it into distortion. What kind of amp are you talking about? Checked the battery in your bass?:D

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
  4. The efficiency of the cabinet, the EQ you've got set, and the style of music all come into play.

For classic rock, I've had times when my 100 watt Ampeg V-4 was more than adequate--then other times (with very loud drummer and loud guitarist) when I felt I needed more power.

Of course, this is with an old Sunn 2x15 cab loaded with efficient JBL 2226 drivers. And I don't boost the bass, maybe only a touch of midrange.

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    My experience is, you're right on the hairy edge with 100 watts. If you have a reasonable drummer, you'll be fine. With a loud drummer, you'll probably be under the treshold of being heard. Depends on the speakers too, if you get a nice efficient speaker it'll work better.

6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I used to go through an early V4B going into 2 4x12 cabs and the only way I could get heard with that thing was to crank it to the point of severe distortion... which was not the kind of tone I was after.

100W is 100W, regardless of tube or SS. If you like distortion then tubes are your answer, if you don't you need a more powerful amp.

7. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Ox, I like my Pignose, and I'm very curious how you like your bass amp. I have a G40v for guitar, it's a crankin' little amp (all except for that crappy 10" speaker, which I tried to replace but nothing decent will fit into that tiny cab!). With an external cab (1x12 or 2x12) it sounds great, I can dial up just about any sound I need.

Sometimes I use my SilverFace Twin (135w model, which is really closer to 100w) for jazz stuff, it's got a great sound for bass. Also use it in the studio, a lot. Doesn't quite cut it against a pair of Marshall stacks though. In a jazz quartet with a Deluxe or Princeton, it works great. Here again I use an external cab (a 2x12, two BagEnd S-12's in a Line6 closed back cab), 'cause the guitar speakers don't seem to like low frequencies very much. The amp itself likes 'em just fine though.

And FYI, the Twin's preamp and tone stack is virtually identical to an Alembic F1X or F2B, which are Showman clones (and a Showman is just like a Twin).

I'm guessing the big Pignose is very similar in many respects, and I'll bet the speaker would be fairly easy to replace with something more efficient (JBL?). Definitely more room in that big bass cab!

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I don't have it yet, and I think i'm gonna go with the Yorkville XS-400H until I have enough for an SVT, Fender Bassman 300, or Hiwatt.

9. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I see. You like lifting weights.

Not me. I get everything I need (tonally) out of my Walter Woods. 7 pounds. Can't beat that!

10. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Tnere's some loud players out there...
    I SAID THERE'S SOME....

I use my 100-watt SLM V4BH with an Ampeg Classic
    4x8 cab and its plenty loud and has plenty headroom for mid-size clubs, as well as a DI for larger rooms.
    Style-wise, I'm playing more in-the-pocket R&B based music than banging heads, but nonetheless,
    one gig I do works with a 4-piece horn section,
    Tower of Power style (Yo, Rocco!) and a drummer
    who gets pretty loud (but keeps it TIGHT!)
    I haven't had any problem cutting thru the mix,
    and my amp has always given me a clean, punchy
    sound with no distortion, unless I add some crunch
    myself.
    I don't know....