Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

? to P-Lyte owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass_me, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Bass_me

Bass_me

Jun 7, 2005
    Denmark, Europe
    The Fender P-Lyte has, in contrast to an ordinary Jazz or Precision, active electronics, so is its sound very different from those? How would you describe its sound and which bass could you compare it to?

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    To my ears, P Lyte is neither. I have one and have owned a couple of others. It's got an incredibly skinny neck, skinnier than any Jazz bass I have ever played. The stock electronics/pickups suck, and it has a very "muted" sound. I use mine (with seriously upgraded electronics) when I want a low, "Motown-type" sound. Or sometimes when I want something similar to an upright tone.

I would like to get another, replace the electronics, gloss the neck, and have a maple or ebony board on it. That would def brighten up the sound.

3. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    They always reminded me of Ibanez soundgears... both in looks and the way they played.

4. I have two of these and with light strings and the switches set right, I get the slightly overdriven sound I always like to play with.

I have well over a dozen basses in my collection and my #1 is this toffeeburst P Lyte.
    I have a charcoalburst FPL that is a bit more subdued, but still great for live work.

[​IMG]

I am scared to death of anything ever happening to it.

Anybody who can't get a decent sound out of one of these has possibly been unlucky with the one they bought. Looking at a couple of them may have produced an ideal bass.

5. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I have been checking these basses out online for a while and IMO, that is one of most beautiful finishes I have ever seen on a Fender.

Sweet, sweet looking bass! :)

6. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    I friggen love mine. Mine has all original electronics and I have medium light stainless steel strings on it. It's crazy punchy and I bought it originally to cut through the mix of an animal drummer and a marshall and hiwatt stack.

Now that I have my Lakland, the Fender P-Lyte is my go to slap bass. It has a really cruchy slap tone that the Lakland just can't get, and you can just hammer on the bass and it will just keep comming back for more.

If I get a little cash in the future I'll replace the electronics becuase they are really noisy but other than that it has been a fantastic bass for me.

[​IMG]

7. [​IMG]

I have to say it IS a beaut.
    I just wish I looked a bit better!!!!!