To paint or not to repaint?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mr_goodbomb, Feb 19, 2010.

1. mr_goodbomb

mr_goodbomb

Oct 10, 2009
    Not entirely "guitar" related, but I post here most often, and the bass forum has a lot fewer posters.

I recently purchased a Gibson Grabber for fairly cheap. I play in two bands, it's definitely become my main bass (the Rick is likely to get beat up and abused, which I don't want). It's been repainted in red. I think red is the tackiest color for a guitar, it's always just read of "cheap strat knockoff" and sportscars screaming"look how fast I can go". But with the black pickguard and wear it has, it looks ok. I'm just not sure it's as cool as it could look.

Obviously the good ol' natural color is the coolest Grabber look, but I'm unsure if this was ever natural, it could have been black, which means it may have a fairly unattractive grain under the paint. Also, I don't have the tools to refinish it by removing the previous finish without killing myself over it (sandpaper, by hand), and that may prove unpleasant. Also, being my main bass, I dunno if I could have it out of commission that long to take the extra time to sand it down and clearcoat it.

Another option is evening out some of the wear it has and finishing it in a solid color with spraypaint. I was thinking white. I'd like to find a good mock-up or a Grabber in white, or an original in white because I've read they made some in white from the factory, but haven't found a picture anywhere.

Or, I can say screw it and keep going with the red. Those are my three options. Here's what it looks like now.

[​IMG]

Any opinions (on the finish)?

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    if you refinish it, it is no longer a Fender...I mean Gibson :D

I vote for white with the black pickguard

3. ianmatth

ianmatth

Dec 10, 2009
    Passaic, NJ
    I would say paint it over black, I really don't know how well white would cover red. I bought a red Rickenbacker 4004L 4-2-5: http://www.3dentourage.com/425/98 red 4004L5.htm

...and had it painted over in black. I also switched the bridge to one with wider spacing, put an Audere Class 4-band in, and am waiting on some custom pickups (might think about upgrading to an Audere 3ZB for the low-Z mode. This was a GAS purchase right before the economy tanked, especially with the shipping and exchange rate at the time (eBay from Australia), but once I bought it, I figured I might as well have it look, play, and sound as good as possible. Here's where it's at so far.

Attached Files:

4. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    It looks good in red~ it really does & it looks like a decent paint job. Brighter colors look best onstage~ black tends to disappear. White would look great, just make sure you get a quality paint job if you go for a color change. When in doubt~ put off a change & see if it grows on you befor you break out the wallet.

5. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Lime Green. Or Green Burst!

Would be awesome.. im thinking of doing my next finish in green.

6. PZapdos

PZapdos

Jan 23, 2010
    New Hampshire
    spray it white.

Primer it, then spray though, since red is darker than white.

If you mess it up.. you can always just sand off the paint and re-do it. Not a big deal.

7. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    can you get white paint in a textured finish? might cover the read better and be different. just an idea.

8. Keep It ORiginal...
    It looks tight...
    Don't ever spray paint it..
    The color looks terrible..

If you do ever change it
    have it done professionally or
    you have to get high quality special paint..
    Which isn't that cheap to get the good stuff..

I think she looks pretty Damn "Cherry"
    and that maple neck really sets her off...

Keep her Original..:cool:

The Moment you realize and you tell your bass
    it's perfect, beautiful,and sounds amazing..
    and that you love her..
    Is the second that you and her become as one..:bassist:
    and your playing on her improves vastly...
    Embrace your sweet Bass..
    She's Perfect...

Just One Bassists Opinion..
    Stay Low..

9. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    LMAO

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    But it's not original. He says the red is a repaint.

11. the mojo hobo

the mojo hobo

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    It doesn't matter. It looks real good in red.

12. looks nice to me, esp. with the maple board.

I'll gladly take it off your hands if you are that disgusted :D

13. I think it looks great in red.

14. Bootzilla

Bootzilla

May 4, 2009
    Before reading the post I thought "OUCH that red looks good!... WANT" so keep it, please!

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021