1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

to peavey or not to peavey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Japanoak, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Japanoak

Japanoak

Aug 26, 2007
    Phoenix, Az
    I found a Peavey Fury VI on craiglist and thought i might go for it. From what i've read it was bass of the year in 02 and has gotten great reviews. But i still have that underlying fear. He wants $200 US for it. Anyone have experience with this bass? I owned a peavey combo amp and hated it... sounded pretty good though when it worked

2. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    A college buddy of mine had one of these.
    It wasn't bad at all, played nice and had a good sound to it.
    and 200$ seems to be the price for them.

3. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Peavey ain't bad at all for the price.

4. downtownblues

downtownblues Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    If you hated a Peavey combo, then there is no hope for happiness in this deal. Despite the bargain price, pass it up.

There are Peavey People, and then just the rest.

5. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Supposed to be good basses, but I saw one go on eBay last week for $75. Might have been a fluke, I'm not an expert, but I'd say something around the $100 range would be fair.

6. mantelclock

mantelclock

Jul 19, 2005
    I'll give a disclaimer right up front. I use Peavey Cirrus basses, so I guess I'm a Peavey person. But what in the world does a Peavey combo have to do with a Peavey bass. I mean, how many Fender Bass players use Fender amps these days?

7. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    He's talking about a bass, not an amp.

8. I'm a recent Peavey bass convert, and I'd buy it.
    I got a '92 Peavery USA Foundation recently, and it's absolutely first rate, beautiful tone, best playing bass I have owned in over 40 years of playing, no matter what the price.
    They are the best bargains out there.

mark

9. That's not a bad price for the Fury. I would change the preamp, but it's still a good deal. Especially if it is in good shape.

10. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    Peavey = Excellent deal IME.

11. mantelclock

mantelclock

Jul 19, 2005
    Two Fury VI's were sold on eBay last week: One for $267.75 plus $30, and one for $230.43 plus $75. That is all that I found. If you're looking for your first six-string bass to experiment with, $200 is absolutely a bargain for a Peavey.

12. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    I play a Cirrus 5 BXP; best bass I've ever owned.

13. Go for it. Peavey is top rate. Glad to see that they are getting some credit around these parts lately. Also kind of sad to see the secrete getting out, I like the low resale value.

lowsound

14. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    +Peavey

15. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    American made basses are great! Quality workmanship and electronics all the way.

Imported Peavey's suffer the same fate as the cheaper Ibanez's - cheap parts and so-so quality.

If this is an American made Fury it's a good thing! If it's the import then $150 might be a better price.

16. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Whatever you do, don't peavey in public...you can get in trouble.

17. downtownblues

downtownblues Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    WAIT A MINUTE!

I've been a Peavey fan since before Hartley formed the company. My main gear is Peavey - bass, guitar, gear.

My comment, based on years of dealing with these opinions, is that there is this crowd that base their evaluations on the concept of "class".

If he was unhappy with his combo, it had nothing to do with the performance of the rig. Peavey combos are solid, no-nonsense performers.

It just meant he didn't like the "status" part of having a Peavey.
    That doesn't change, combo, bass, guitar, gear. It's just Yuppie insecurity.

18. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    No, I read it that it was unreliable - "... sounded pretty good though when it worked."

I agree that Peavey makes very reliable gear, IMHO it is typically middle of the road with respect to sound quality, very good for the price. He likely just had a one-in-a-thousand lemon with that combo.

My opinions have nothing to do with class, by the way, I respect Peavey for what it is, but I would never consider any that I have tried to be the "be all and end all."

19. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    +1,000,000!!!!!!!!!!

I've been playing bass for about seven years and I've owned about fifteen different basses. What a spaz!! I was looking for tone but hung up on brand name.

At one point I had an MIA Fender Jazz with a J-retro but didn't like the sound. I put it up for trade and someone offered a Peavey Millennium Plus 5 - one of the ones with birdseye maple fretboard. I declined and wish that I had taken him up on the offer!

I recently bought a Millennium Plus 4 for $400 and liked it better than that MIA Fender Jazz for a number of reasons. I've sold it recently to buy myself a Millennium Plus 5. I'm a Peavey man all the way now!

All this bass for $500? Incredible!
    Millenium5002.

20. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    What if he really just didn't like it. I mean, I keep a little peavey microbass around to practice with at home, but I wouldn't say I'm thrilled with the sound. I'm thrilled with the fact that it weighs 1/10 of my SVT rig. I'll put up with the sound.

I had a friend who swore by Peavey and Carvin. I can't stand either. I recognize their merits but it doesn't mean I have to like them. Perhaps it's a taste thing rather than a status thing in this case.

oh, after a re-read +1 on the not working part.