1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To Pick or Not To Pick - That is the ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Yes - Always use a Pick

61 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. No - Never Use a Pick

359 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. Sometimes I use one and sometimes I don't

428 vote(s)
    50.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I don't know, I can play chords with a pick just fine.

2. A pick isnt a handicap at all, a pick is a different sound from finger style.

I play finger style alot, but when it comes to playing punk/rock a pick just flat out sounds better ( IMO ), its just got the sharper more aggressive edge to it over fingerstyle.

3. agreed

4. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I've played and struggled and triumphed and struggled again with fingerstyle since I started playing 2 years ago. i was a guitarist before so using a pick is like second nature - but not in the nature some of the lines I like to play.

Tonight I busted out a pick for a few new songs the band is working on and since I've been playing a P bass with flats - the evenness of attack and time was great and the tone was still punchy and thick.

So I use my fingers and I use a pick

It really is all about versatility - there are some things I can really do with a pick - and vice versa. I'd love someday to simply use my fingers for everything but between singing, grooving, keeping time, and putting on a show in a hyperactive rock band - a Pick works just fine - it's like a live performance insurance policy.

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    :)

Leo was right likes this.
  6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    It's a good thing that we play bass geetard, then, huh? (uh oh... another 10 page discussion on "electric bass" vs "bass guitar"?)

7. Like snobbery is for...snobs?

..and are you trying to insinuate that picks are for guitarists who are mentally handicapped?:eyebrow:

It's not very nice to make fun of the handicapped.

...and what do you call a guitarist who is not mentally handicapped, yet still uses a pick, like say...Jimi Hendrix, or Eric Clapton?

8. In my opinion, people who play fingerstyle exclusively should learn to play with a pick.

I myself am a finger style player, and I found using a pick is great for palm muting (especially with distortion). I've never played with one live, but it's great fun to play with a pick at home.
    Another benefit is that it is really easy to get those palm muted triplet figures (a la Battery, by Metallica ).

Although the sound of a pick can be emulated by finger plucking close to the bridge, it is impossible to achieve that sound that I've been talking about with just the fingers.

Capt.Obvious likes this.
  9. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    How are picks for chumps? Explain this to me. Nowhere does it state that bass has to be played with your fingers.

Capt.Obvious likes this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.