To Pick or not To Pick

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by iriegnome, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. Pick

    16 vote(s)
  2. Finger

    36 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iriegnome

    iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

    Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Ok!! Do you use a pick or your fingers? I used a pick for the first 12 years I played. I had always played around with finger style, but could not get the hang of playing faster songs. Now, I play 99% with my fingers. I have a couple of basses that just lend themselves to the pick. My Hofner and my Acoustic, especially.
  2. xcental34x


    Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    been done to death, wrong forum, but what the heck...

    Pick! Dunlop Tortex .88 triangles.
  3. phatcactus


    Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    TUBE SOCKS. No question about it.
    Anyone who disagrees is wrong and stupid.
  4. Quadzilla

    Quadzilla Supporting Member

    Tube socks thing is funny. Anyway, I picked about 65% and finger the other 35%...
  5. tiefling


    Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    neither. the sheer force of my will causes the strings to vibrate in terror.
  6. :p

    I play with my fingers 99% of the time.
  7. NV43345


    Apr 1, 2003

    on my ABG I use a couple different Tortex pics the Green .88
    for a heavier song and the Yellow ones (forgot the size) for
    sweeping chords etc etc etc. :bassist:
  8. Wesley R

    Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

    I started using a thumb pick (just like the local hero), went to pick, know use a pick and fingers.

    Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  9. Depends on the kind of music. If you're doing funk/jazz/etc or anything melodic, it's nothing but the flesh on your hands.

    But if you're doing rock/punk/metal or any music that requires you to play eighth-note roots the whole way though, a pick is more practical and desirable.

    I've never used a pick on bass. But that's just me. Heck, I don't even like to use a pick when I play guitar!
  10. Mudfuzz


    Apr 3, 2004
  11. dirtrider

    dirtrider Inactive

    More fingers than pick lately. Weird. :meh:
  12. HeavyDuty

    HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

    Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You know, no one has ever posted a poll on this topic! Imagine that! ;) :D

    Closed and moved to Technique.
  13. Primary

    Primary TB Assistant

    Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

    Jul 24, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.