Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

to play 5 string or not to play 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris stone, Feb 1, 2001.

1. chris stone

chris stone

Jan 24, 2001
    i want to get a 5 string bass but my band members say that i shouldent untill i can use my 4 string to its full capability im not to sure how to do that but should i juss
    get the 5 string anyway?

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    You want the 5, then get the 5. Never let your bandmembers choose your instrument.

Here's the deal: You can play anything on a 5 that you can on a 4, so it will have no negative impact on the material you're doing now, plus you have the option of adding the few extra lower notes or refingering a passage to make it easier or smoother to play for yourself.

Oh yeah, and if they said that you "shouldent untill i can use my 4 string to its full capability", smack 'em. No one has ever used any instrument to it's full capability. Offer to remove 2 of the guitarist's strings, as he's certainly not using his 6 to their fullest capability, is he? :p

3. FunkmastaJ

FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    5 string bass is really nice. I moved from jazz 4 string to warwick 5, sold my warwick and now play the jazz untill my mike lull 5 string is built. Slapping is definately easier on a 4 (i dont care what people say who slap on 5's all the best slappers have used 4's). I like both, u should buy the 5 string and keep ur 4.

4. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Not true, Fieldy uses a 5!

J/k :p :D :eek:

5. Lol...Fieldy sux.
    But yeah I'm more comfortable with a 4...I'm in a hardcore band and we tune down to B, and we never play any high stuff at all, it's mostly all low riffs. So I think it would be dumb to pay more for something that I'm not going to use, so I just tune down a 4 string. Works for me.

6. FunkmastaJ

FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    Fieldy? my god, damn. Slap was invented on the 4. Larry Grahmn, Louis Johnson, Stanley Clark, Marcus Miller, Flea, the list goes on and on.

Also, i didnt meen to sound like u cant slap on a 5. In fact, many 5s slap well (but not my warwick).

7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    One thing to consider is that many 5 strings are
    35" scale basses. Make sure that when you are
    trying 5 strings on for size that you note whether
    you are not only taking on an extra string, but
    an extra inch as well. Unless your hands are
    really big, this might take some getting used to.

Incidentally, there are many good 34" 5 string
    basses on the market as well.

Another point is that some 5 string have the
    strings slightly for tightly spaced so the neck
    isn't so huge. Again, this varies among various
    manufacturers and might or might not be an issue.

Tell your drummer to scale back to one stick
    and your singer to stay within a single octave
    until they have mastered this space.

8. Oh, man. When your bandmates say, "Don't get a five!" That's when you bring a 7 string to practice the next time! :D :D :D

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Once you get used to the 5... sometimes it is a drag to go back to the 4. hehe I have written all of my current songs on my 5 stringer and found my way to the b string on every one. Hard to resist!!

10. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm long time 4 string P guy and I just got my first 5 string....a Roscoe Beck. I've now had 2 gigs three rehearsals and a bunch of practice time. I gotta tell ya that I think the P or any 4 string is second place. I can do anything on the 5 that I could do on the 4 and then a whole bunch more. I wish I made the conversion a long time ago. By the way..who cares what your bandmates say!!!

11. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    what about PNut from 311??! He slaps amazingly well (and fast) on his warwick 5string!

12. Get a five go on I dare you! in fact I double dare! no wait I physically challenge you! Hey it's you thats got to play it not your band so it's not going to affect them if anything it will expand your playing ability make you better and keep your 4 because you will go back to it and you will think it was made for midgets hands and it will rip.

13. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Well I think that's crap,but if you feel that they are right,don't forget that no-one forces you to play that 5th string!You can get a 5 string and still play only on 4 until you feel ready...but,as I said,this is crap,you won't have any problem.Go for it!

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i never get rude here, so please forgive me if this sounds offensive....tell your band mates to shove it up there ass about not buying it till you use it to its full capability...if you want a 5 by all means get a 5, i dont think youll regret doing it and it will help you to explore other areas that a 4 simply wont do. Remember the only opinion that matters is yours

15. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    maybe we should all start with one note,eg.open E,learn to use that note to its "full capability",and THEN procede to other notes!

16. I used to be in the same position that you were in. I had a four string bass(still do) and everyone said that I should get a five. When I first played a five, I thought that it was one of the coolest things out there. But than after I have been playing for about 2 or 3 years longer, I went back and tried a five string and I absolutely hated it (there aren't many music stores near me.)Before this I was looking to buy a stingray 5, but now I have my eyes set on a G&L L2000. Don't make the wrong decision that I almost did.

17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Chris- If he were alive, I don't think Jaco Pastorius would say he is using his 4 to "its full capability." That's only limited by your imagination and desire.

I bought a 5 after almost 30 years of "bassing," but I keep my favorite 4's. Different guns for different game.