Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To power condition or not

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Feb 6, 2005.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    First, i have a QSC PLX1202 and a Sansamp RBI in the mail. I want to rack mount my stuff. Since my peavey head got water(well snow really) in it, ive been worried about my gear being safe.

Do the furman powerconditions really do anything worth buying? I would be getting it off ebay for probally like 50 bucks or so. I was wondering if they do anything more than becoming a rackmount powerstrip would do.

Are there any power conditioners out there that do do something worth buying? What do you think.

I really like the idea of having only one plus and not several, so thats why i like the idea, but i dont know if its worth it or not.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oooooohhhhh
    flame war time
    do a search
    if you can score apl8 or pl plus for 50 bucks go ahead, but people waaaaaaaaaaaaayoverbid for those.

3. I bought the Plus, not so much for EMI/RFI filtering, but for a) the convenience and b) at least a little bit of surge protection. Plus the voltage lights let me know if I'm terribly over or under voltage on the supply.

4. I scored a Furman PL-8 (I think thats what it is) for $40 at a guitar center one time. Its the one with the little lights on it. Its very nice to be able to just have one plug at shows and the lights are nice on a dark stage. A lot of people will tell you they're worthless, but it all just sounds like a conspiracy to me. There will always be people that don't like stuff.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    There's already one LOOOONNGGG thread on this exact issue, possibly two or three. Do a search, all the info you could ever hope for.

6. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I use a PL-8 Plus and really like it simply for the convenience. All my rack gear is plugged into it. When I set up, I plop the rack on top of the speakers, open up the back, plug into ONE outlet in the wall, connect two speaker cables and I'm ready. It's nice only needing one outlet and being able to set up/tear down quickly. The circut breaker and level meter are nice, but for me its the ease of only dealing with one power cord.
    Just my thoughts.

7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Not Necessary. Get a good power strip and mount it in the back of your rack. Save the space and money.

8. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    if anything, my powerbrite pro7 is convenient for me because i just ahve to have one free outlet space wherever i go, and i'm always using the rear lamp to light up the inside of my rack, as well as being handy to plug my compressor and pedal power supplies easily, with the bonus of being a surge protector.

but if you want something that actually does something, then i'd recommend the Furman Series 2 units, because they use actual series mode protection rather than standard MOV's found in surge protectors, searching this forum will bring up more on that.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If you go with one of these, pick up the one from Odyssey that has a bar across the front that lights up in several different colors. A power conditioner in itself is boring, but the lighted up ones make it look like you got more for your money.

-Mike

10. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I disassembled my rack gear recently was thinking of now using my Furman to plug in all my PC plugs, mon, tower, spkers, printer, then using the pull out lites to lite up my keyboard. Will it work for this or will the weight of full size 17" monitor on top damage/squash the Furman?