Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To practice? or not to practice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MattFreemanRock, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Fender Frontman II 25B

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Hartke B30 Combo

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Neither, a reasonably priced combo $150-$180

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. MattFreemanRock

MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    I'm in need of a practice amp. I got a behringer bx600 for christmas and it buzzed on all the lows.

I decided since I'm not going to be in a band anytime soon(no one I know likes the kind of music i enjoy) That I'd rather get a practice amp instead of one for small gigs.

I narrowed my choices down to two. The hartke B30 which I have seen bad and good things and the Fender Frontman II 25b.

I know that the bassman series by fender is supposed to be great for the money, but since my parents spent only $140 for the Behringer I won't ask for a much higher priced amp.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I never ask much quetions, i usually just search But my search didn't show much.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    It's hard to find a good sounding combo in that price range, new. Most of the ones I've seen recently sacrifice sound quality for a little extra volume in the lowest priced models. Used is a different game and you might find a Peavey Minx 110 for $140 or so. The Bassman has good reviews but is more expensive. SWR's smaller LA Series combos sound nice; I think I saw an LA8 for about $200.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Whoa, change your title, i thought it was about ACTUAL practise. So i'll just say yes, practise.

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If your Behringer is still under warranty, I would have it checked out by dealer or manufacturer. It should not be buzzing on lows unless something is defective (unless of course you cranked everything all the way up and fried the speaker--in which case warranty might still bail you out).

If not under warranty, check out a new or used Peavey MicroBass, or get a bass headphone amp.

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    The hartke is way better than the fender IMO. However, i think lo-freq was right onwith teh peavey microbass.

6. Have you tryed these amps in the store? I've played a friend's 25b....it does a good job until you get below low D. But not a whole lot of practice amps can handle a low B. The best practice amp I ever used was a roomie's decent home stereo. Subwoofer, decent speakers and an ADCOM power amp. Not cheap though lol.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I also recommend the Peavey Microbass. Hard to beat in its class.

8. Well, if youve got that $150-180, go USED You can find SOMETHING decent Im sure, (sure, maybe on it's fiffth owner or something). With this money, don't expect it ot be giggable though. I'd get the Hartke. Just try and and be careful, it lacks power, so don't push it, or you will ruin the speaker. Epecting miracles out of a single 8 or 10" speaker run by 30 solid state watts isn't gong ot give you a miracle. My Hartke b120 (the biggest of the series you are looking at) gives me great tone, but LACKS headroom, and even that is 120 watts into 2 12's. Try and fid a used Hartke kickback 10 or 12. They'll be better and carry loads of punch. DO I like MY hartke, yes, but I could use something louder. If you have the money and are looking at the B series, I'd choose the b60 which is 60 watts into 1 12" as compared to my amp only makes full use out of one speaker a the other one faces down. Get the b90 with the 15" speaker, it'll probably be better than mine too, but I can't say. Hartke isn't bad, but for a rock situation, it will lack...

9. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    There must be alot of Shakespeare reading bass players in the world... or at least on this message board. I can't begin to count how many threads I've seen that open up with "To _____ or not to _____?" :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd say go with the Fender Bassman. I've always thought their combos were great for plug-and-play, and they put out a surprising amount of sound for their size. Right now, I own an SWR LA12, and though I love the way it sounds, its a bit on the quiet side.

10. MattFreemanRock

MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    Well I doubted anyone would go to a thread called "HELP ME! I NEED AN AMP!" And its true.

Thanks for the input. I've narrowed it down to the bassman 25 and the harke b60. Those are better models than what i originally put because i wasn't so happy to deal over ebay. But my father who has a 2800+ ebay rating decided he'd help me out:D

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Is your Behringer still under warranty or no?

[See my first reply to this thread.]

Don't spend $$$ you don't have to (just my opinion--it's somebody's money and they can do whatever they want with it).

12. MattFreemanRock

MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    Well, lo-freq, the behringer was under warranty so we returned it. I didn't want another because i was so disappointed.

I had checked out the Microbass but I decided to pass.

You'll understand why i passed up the peavey. I got 2 amps. My dad the ebay expert got me the hartke b30 for $140, but he also got me the b60 for 127 bucks. Yes i got the better model for a better price. The 90 had a shipping price for 60 dollars, but I live near the guy so I'm going to pick itup and save on shipping. Can anyone say resale? Im making money out of the deal. Its a beautiful thing.