To preamp or not to preamp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FOE_Bass, Jul 16, 2001.

1. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    I'm starting to get a stack, I'm getting an Eden D-115T from GroovB and I want to get a Hartke 2.5XL, but as far as a head I don't know what I want. I actually really want an Ampeg SVT-CL. It seems PERFECT for what I need (ohms, wattage and tone), but they're so expensive. Then I saw the SansAmp PSA-1 and that has a SVT preset on it. Then I was thinking of the SansAmp RBI. Any suggestions. I was thinking of powering these with a Carvin DCM1000.
  2. I run separates (preamp, crossover, eq, amps) and won't go back. It is flexible, and you can get the very best of each component, and change only those you don't like while keeping the rest.

If you like the Ampeg sound, they make the SVT-Pro preamp which you can hook to the power amp of your choice.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    there are either modeling amps (line 6, sans amp, etc) that can get pretty close to the svt sound...

or you could get a preamp that has a dummy powerstage built in (SWR interstellar overdrive, warwick quadruplet) to get that "all tube" sound...

or, like mentioned before, the SVT-Pro would work too.

as for the DCM1000, i've never heard a bad thing about them from people who've used/owned them. that's going to be my poweramp when i get my IOD.