Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To propose marriage at a show??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Do it!!! It will be fun and on film!!

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. Heck no!! Keep it personal.

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  3. I have a better idea. Please post.

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. odie

odie Supporting Member

A member in my band is debating on asking his girlfried of like 8-9 years to marry him. He was thinking about doing it at one of our shows in between sets. It will be at a all ages benefit so their wont be the smoking bar/club vibe. But more of a laid back atmosphere.

I thought it sounded fun but I thought it wouldnt be very personal considering we only have a 20 minute break before having to go on for another set.

Opinions??? Any ideas for the guy? I should have good ideas since I just got hitched a couple years ago.

2. that might be a good idea. since it will be starting their life together with her at one of your guys' gigs, it might show her he's ready to share his life with her, i guess. tell him to go for it (and good luck)!

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I witnessed that at a show 2 weeks ago. A guy from the audience did it. My pals and I thought it was a hoot, but the girls actually liked it!

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Why not do it classy and propose on either Ricki Lake or Jerry Springer ???

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    -As long as she's topless and your in a headlock, why not? :rolleyes: :D

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"You're a bitch, Joshua"....."Well, you're a whore, Rick"......."Coming up after the break - The love lives of hermaphroditic midget bassists"

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nonono. Personal. Girls rmemeber these things their whole life.

8. If she's been his girl for 8 or 9 years, he should know how she'll respond.

Personally, I'm with Figjam. Women remember everything. Many times with a sour lemon twist. ;)

Mike

9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i think it would be cool...

what does he do in the band? if he is the guitarist, you and the drummer could just keep the beat and do a mini improv while he goes down into the audience and asks her there

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Great. I need therapy now.

11. Our singer did it during a show. Actually went pretty well. We got done playing a song of ours that he wrote about her, fit in perfectly.

12. odie

odie Supporting Member

He plays guitar.

Actually I just found out they have been together longer than I thought. Eleven years!!!:eek:

Im torn. I think it should be kept personalto a degree but on the other hand all the good friends will be there along with some of her family(sisters).

Looks like the majority here is leaning towards "no". We have practice on Thursday night so keep the replies coming!

13. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I've always thought it would be fun. But he would definatly know her best. He'll know the way shes receptive to it, so I would just leave it up to him. I really like the idea of you guys playing a little something for him while he did it. But its his call.

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Man, I'll bet he plays like crap during the second set if she says "No".

15. odie

odie Supporting Member

I think we would allplay like crap!! We are pretty close friends. Been doing this band for 4 years and I consider them mybest friends.

They have a 5 year old child together so she bettersay yes!

16. i vote yes...

you should have a really energetic shows, make it all real funny and everything!

then at the last song, maybe play a romantic cover (or one of your own).

Get her on stage, turns out the lights, except for one light out at front, and your guitarist can do the biz'. :cool:

17. She will say yes............DO IT AT THE SHOW>

[​IMG]
    Treena

18. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Is she likely to feel embarrassed or honoured, and how is she likely to respond to that? That's the kind of question the guitarist should be well placed to answer himself...

Wulf

19. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well your guitarist is in a better position to decide whether or not to do it ,like you said he'll know how she'll take it......he's also the one that's got to live with it from now on!

Asking a bunch of bassists probably isn't the best idea......especially when at least one (me) has messed up one marriage already....although, the proposal went well!;)

20. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well I guess he was going to do it at a Twins baseball game. But he wasnt able to make it to a game together. So I think she is cool with a little embarrasment.

Maybe I can play "Drive"(Incubus) and then he can pop the question.