To quit, or not to quit...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Reynolds 101, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Well Im losing interest and patience in this band. We have a few shows booked until the end of august, so I figured if Im going to do this, it should be now.

The band Im in is really getting me frustrated. Well our guitarist isnt the problem surprisingly. Hes a cool guy and knows his stuff. Mainly its the drummer. Its seems hes more interested in shoes and hairstyles lately than the actual music. When we get to shows he gets pissed off over the smallest things you could possibly imagine. He does all the booking and we go to his house to practice, so basically I cant fire him, so I have to leave.

Its not the music thats making me quit, I actually enjoy it when were playing stuff because we get so many compliments, but its more of the "behind the scenes" stuff thats getting to me.

I also have a friend that plays drums in a metal band, but also likes to play the music I like, such as the beatles, zeppelin, etc.. So I do have a backup plan. My guitarist and I have been both getting irritated with him, and he said if something happens where he leaves, my friend would be in full consideration.

Well do you think its the right choice to tell him Im leaving in a few months?

2. You should quit if it is no longer fun. If it is a border-line situation, you can look for (or start up) another band, and then quit when you have something else lined up, as long as you follow through on any booked gigs.

It all comes down to whether the joy of playing is greater than the pain of the other band stuff.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    My suggestion is for you and the guitar player to call a band meeting and talk to the drummer. Set out some guidelines and go from there. Let him know you're committed to the band but need less drama about non-music related stuff. See how he reacts and if no change, then you can let him know you'll be leaving.

Let him know you'll finish out the gigs you've committed to for the summer. He'll probably find a replacement as soon as possible and let you go right away.

4. bassmanslap

bassmanslap

Jun 21, 2008
    I'm in the exact same position as you man. I dont know what to do either. I have actually joined another band but havent left the original band yet. Good Luck! :help:

5. redielg

redielg

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami
    Yeah, my drummer was being the real snag of the band. He quit however. Stating he couldn't work with one of our guitarists. Ironically, the guy was his best friend for years. Now, he's starting something else and contacted the other guys in the band. Which is the exact same thing he did last year. As the saying goes, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I'd rather not in that situation. But I agree that holding a band meeting would help substantially. For the most part, it would have solved my situation. But I recently found out that he was keeping profits. So there's nothing I can do there.

6. Montsegour

Montsegour

Apr 1, 2008
    Sarajevo
    Just talk with the guy. It helps sometimes :D
    If I got it right, your guitarist isnt crazy for your drummer nither so you got some support..

7. Well I have a gig tonight so I'll talk to my guitarist a little bit exclusively, and we'll try to work a day out that we can both talk to him about my potential departure.

Let me also mention, he is really ignorant when something doesn't go his way, and he cannot take constructive criticism to save his life.

We both go to the same school, play in the school golf league every tuesday and thursday, and he lives ten minutes away from me so if worst comes to worst, everything will be pretty awkward.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    It's called immaturity. He'll find out soon enough that his control and anger issues will foul up most things in his life.

9. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Sounds like you are still fairly young...take it from me...I spent most of my early 20's "hanging on" to bands/musicians that had issues and I was miserable. Its not worth it. If you are not happy, make a mature effort to change what you can, but dont be afraid to move on in a heartbeat. Sure its tough to leave a tight sounding band that you have put time and effort into, but life is too short to be miserable (seems like it was only a year or two ago I was back in school playing in bands, and that was 20 years ago now! Time flies and you need to do whats best for you)

10. Ok heres the update:

Good - That show the other night went AMAZINGLY well, one of our best by far. He didn't make any big mistakes, because sometimes he over does things.

Bad - Let me explain this one a little bit. I don't really listen to Pink Floyd, and I never really have. We were thinking of cover songs yesterday to add into a double set we have on monday, and the guitarist started playing "Wish You Were Here", and I told them I didn't know it and have never really heard it. The guitarist was surprised because he said it was a major classic rock song, but the drummer got seriously angry, and came out with "what rock are you living under????".

If he honestly wants to act like a little child over something so minor, its not even worth my time. Im so sick of this, and I cant wait until after the show monday to tell them I QUIT.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    And yet, Don Henley is one of the most successful bandleaders in history. Go figure.