1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To rack or not to rack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BbbyBld, Dec 12, 2006.

1. I don't care if I can rack-mount amps or preamps.

18 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. I would not buy an amp or preamp if I couldn't rack-mount it.

26 vote(s)
    44.8%
  3. I vote B unless the product is shaped like a carrot.

14 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    How important is it to you for gear such as amps and preamps to have a rack mount option?

2. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    It really depends on what type or work you planning on doing. I play with a band that practices every weekend and is looking to start playing out early next summer. For me the option to rack was just a move of being more practical once I started adding gear. I've got a relatively small rack, 4U, it holds a poweramp, a power conditioner, a wireless receiver for the bass and a wireless in-ear monitor system. The rack setup is by no means light weight, at 4U and using the "light" series of QSC poweramps (the amp is only 22lbs), the total weight comes to right around 80lbs. But that can be cut down with a lighter duty rack, I went all out for the ata alluminum rack since its holding my most expensive gear (I think its got about 2k in stuff in it right now).

Previously I had a large bass head (i'm using a pre/power amp setup now). The bass head was an ashdown evo II 900, a nice amp but man it was heavy. I had to make a whole trip just to get this thing since it was like around 50-60lbs and large by itself. I was already carrying the wireless setup in a smaller rack and I went for the heavier alluminum rack setup when my ashdown broke and was in the repair shop for a few months. I didn't really miss it so I eventually sold it, primarily to cut down on the trips/weight of my move since I need to be able to setup and breakdown in about 20 mins max to keep the setup somewhat efficient.

I guess the better quesiton here is do you plan on moving it a lot? If its being moved around a lot a nice closed rack is good becuase it helps keep all hte elements out and allows you to move it more safely plus you usually can throw most if not all of your cables int he back of the rack if its got spare room.
    hope this helps.

3. I'm a big fan of being able to rackmount, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if it didn't. I would still look for some sort of other case for it though. I can't stand the thought of a knob or something being cracked off as I load up for a gig.

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I find rack mounted gear to be important for the convenience of being able to transport everything (amp, pre, power conditioner, tuner) in one container.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1

6. I really like things that are rack mountable

But its just an added bonus if they are, i wouldnt say no to a vintage SVT because it wasnt rack mountable.

Fortunatly my SVT-II is rackmountable :D

And anything smaller than an amp head (hell even some amp heads) can be stuck in a rack on a rack tray)

7. +1 Since I like to keep things simple, my amp and power cable will fit in a bag or a case (either cheaper than a rack case). I also prefere the open air space around my amp for cooling. So being able to rack mount is not an issue. I'm more concerned with sound, reliability, weight, and power. In that order.

8. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Banned

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    I have to have rackmount stuff. I like the idea of plugging everything in the rack into the conditioner, and leaving it there. Plus it keeps everything together, and that means fewer trips in and out of club, bar, etc. I use a 10 space with casters, and it even has a 3 space drawer to keep my Pod in. And of course, the protection rack cases provide can't be beat.

9. very important. im a rack kinda guy.

10. zymeth

zymeth

Dec 10, 2006
    aberdeen nj
    its a plus to me if it is rackable but honestly it doesnt bother me if it isnt.

11. It pretty much has to be rackmountable, otherwise I can't use my other rack stuff because I will only carry the amp, or I will have 2 separate things to carry (and 2 empty rack spaces). I also prefer to rack my gear to keep it protected.

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I voted "I don't care" because I never use anything but a head (or a combo if I can get away with it) and I don't want to be loaded down by the rack.

Make it small and light, and rugged enough that it doesn't need the protection of a rack. ;)

13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Why not follow GK and TF's lead and make the rack ears not part of the design? I mean, it wouldn't work with a 70 pound head, but with a 10 pound preamp, I can't see it being a problem.

14. I think it really depends on the product, but rack-ablility is a major plus.

15. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    I dont use racks with pre/power setups , effects , tuners and stuff. I always want it simpel , just want the friggen amp to amplifie mi bass and fingers. I can tune with my ear and do effects with my fingers.
    So i keep my heads in 2HE racks , just the amp , protects the amp and does not get that heavy.

16. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    I think being rackable is important, having options for everyone's different situation's is good right?

But I think Eric is right, it's nice to not have the rack ears being a part of the front of the amp if one decides not to rack it, a la Eden, GK, etc.

17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I like my gear to be safe and to survive accident. It's in a rack ...

18. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    When I was using an SVTIII-Pro, rack-mounting was an important feature. Since moving to an SVT-CL, I don't even have a rack.

19. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I prefer my gear in a rack unless it's a head where it already has some kind of case in mounts into.

But I def. consider it a plus if you are able to put on/take off rack ears like the Eden heads and TF are capable of.

20. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    There's so much good stuff out there that is rack mountable, that I'd probably pass on anything that wasn't or couldn't easily be converted to rack mounting (universal shelf accessory, etc). Well, other than a vintage SVT...