To recone or not ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4Mal, May 23, 2005.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I scored a nice little Eden D115T cab with a blown woofer. I dropped in a JBL and it sounds great. I'm going to build up a run of 4 of the same cab's for JBL D/E/K 140's that I have lying about. When I get done, I'm going to sell the Eden.

So is this Eden cab worth more with a reconed Eden 15 or with a JBL installed in it ?

Easy question for me. JBL's rock! and this cab is almost letter perfect for a D/E/K 140 at 4 cu ft. But I'm the one selling and I'm a totally JBL bigot.

What do you guys think ?
  2. JBL drivers bring the most money as raw drivers on eBay. If the driver is desireable, it will sell. If not, it will not. Adding a cab is secondary. If the cab is a home-built, it will be worthless in most cases.

Tell us which JBL driver you are using, and the exact internal measurements of the Eden cab, also venting if you can measure it.
  3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The D115T measures out to 4 cu ft (not allowing for bracing or handles so it is slightly lower in volume) which is what the JBLPRO enclosure giude specs for the driver. The JBL spec calls for a 4" round 6 inch deep port. The cab has a 5 inch round, 6 inch deep port. That cab also has a cross over and tweeter which I left engaged for the time being. The driver installed is a D140.

I have a mix of D/E/K 140's and a couple of 2205's (they might be 2225's). They are loaded up a the moment. I'll have to pull on to check. I've been grabbing JBL 15's as I find them for a while. Reconing when necessary. There is a truly superb/ meticulous reconer nearby in Portland, OR. I have acculmulated enough that it makes sense to do a building run on the cab's.

Anyway - from an ear check perspective, the Eden cab with a 140 in it has a very nice solid sound to it. I need to disconnect the xover to be sure. But it seems like a winner so far. I think I'm going to add a cross over / full range switch to the Eden for grins and ease in testing.

I ran it off one side of my power amp with a BE 2x10 on the other side last week and with just a little power - nice and solid. It lacked the typical JBL presence due to the cross over but it was solid and tight in the low end. It also illustrated the typical JBL efficiency requireing somewhat lower sensitivity settings on my power amp than the BE cab did. The BE is a 4 ohm cab, the JBL is an 8 ohm driver as well.

I'm a 4 banger guy. That evening I was using an L2K with TIJF's.

I'm totally impressed with the design / construction of the Eden cab. Not the easiest cab to duplicate. The bracing is pretty extensive as they are using the 1/2" equivalent BB ply. The cab is significantly lighter than most similarly sized 1x15's though so I'm going to go the same route. It will be a good woodworking exercise for me as well.

Once I get done, I'm going to sell off the Eden. So my real question is more - should I bother to recone the original Eden speaker and sell the cab as original, sell the cab enpty or with a JBL. I'm leaning towards reconing the Eden ($75) and selling the cab as a complete working 'stock' unit.

I am curious, what would the effect of the larger port be on the frequency response of the cab ?

By ear, the cab seemed to go deeper than I'm used to with a D140. It's no match for my Music Man 2x12 of course, but it seemed to be more solid in the lows that usual. This was in a really lousy room for acoustics so I am taking that with a grain of salt.
  4. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I say sell off the cab and give me the JBL's :)
  5. I think an Eden recone job, keep the receipt, and selling the cab as stock Eden + new recone, is the ticket.

The D410XLT I spent time with is pretty well made. The top and bottom slot porting effectively braces those two sides very well. Bill Fitzmaurice's Tuba subs use a similar method, where the horn plates double as bracing. It works well with 1/2" plywood.
  6. The larger diameter port will tune the box higher than the smaller diameter. WinISD says at 4 cu. ft. the 4x6 port would tune to about 31hz and the 5x6 port would tune to about 37hz.

The higher tuning would give a slightly less low end extention and a slight bump in response above the tuning frequency. I don't know how much of a difference it would be with the JBL driver.
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree. Most people would approach a cab with a non-standard speaker with caution. And as you say, a JBL nut will probably only be interested in the raw driver.
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    As I'm a 4 string guy, that makes sense to me. The box has a nice deep extension, very solid lows and a tuning of 37hz with a slight bump would sound that way to me I'm thinking. the 140 driver is doesn't go all that deel. IIFRC, 45 hz or so is about it.

For a 4 string, that's a pretty decent range to work with.

I think I'll get the Eden reconed and put the cab up for sale as stock and reconed when I get there. Thanks for the advice.