1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To refinish or not refinish?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tggorgon, Sep 11, 2008.

1. tggorgon

tggorgon

Jan 11, 2007
    Portland, Or
    I gotta question for ya. My Custom made(for me) 1986 candy Blue burst Jackson P has a few good chips outta the finish on the face. I have a guy that does great refinish work. He looked at the P and had 3 suggestions of what could be done to it cause of the chips.
    1st= Fill in the outer chips , about 5, in the darkest areas cause they'd easy to fill and probably never see the fix.
    2nd=Fill all the chips, about 7, but the ones on the fade areas might not blend perfectly but will look pretty good.
    3rd= refinish the whole face to look exactly the same as the original, taking care of chips and long cracks in the finish.

now cost effectiveness is redo the whole face, but that seams wrong to me, cause it loses all the original finish of what I had made in 1986, and is a replica of the original, but maybe I'm over thinking it and who cares.
    I lean towards fixing all chips. The most expensive comparatively. Then again is any touch up wrong for this bass or is it not vintage enough to matter? I don't know.
    So please, give me any opinions on what I should do, or what you would do.
    As is I color the chips in with felt pen cause it looks like crap to me.
    Help!!! I just dont know.:meh: