to remove a stump....salt??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I was told I could drill holes into a stump and fill them with salt, leading to the eventually death of said stump, making for easy removal. Is this true or not?

I've heard of 'salting the earth" of course, but I thought I'd check with any possible bass playing arborists, pro or otherwise.
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    makes sense. my pop and I had to take down a few and bought "stump remover" stuff from the local Agway.... drill holes, treat, wait. I think it was a few weeks and they came up without too much fuse. The Salt might work in time though
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX've got a brand new chainsaw and you're talking about salt?!

I've heard of using salt to kill grass, makes sense that it might kill stumps.

brad cook
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, I sawed the stump pretty much level with the grass, which in retrospect might not have been the best thing, as I can't pull it out with my jeep and some rope. the problem is a lot of the stump is subterranean, making a huge bump in the ground where I want lawn.

I'll hit the farmers supply if the salt doesn't work.
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    great thread, i have two stumps that need to move away

6. Just cut a big hole around it :cool:

Salt may however work though.
  7. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    But lead into it. We used to nail a couple lead ones into the bottom of the stump.. Wait a while and shazam!
  8. My father-in-law is a rancher down in TX. I've seen him pour diesel fuel onto the stump for a couple of days, just a splash whenever he happens to be passing by it, so that it soaks in well. Give it one final splash and fire that sucker up. Will smolder for a couple of days if the root system is extensive. No more stump or roots! :hyper:
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I gotta wonder if diesel fuel leaking into the ground is good for the environment...especially if anyone around there has a water well.

brad cook
  10. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    hire a tree company to come remove a stump. its not super expensive and its doen within a half hour.

i have actually done this for my friends tree company and its actually entertaining to watch haha.
  11. I read a book once where some fly-by-night gardeners set a stump on fire. The fire spread all along the roots under ground, and a major land area was destroyed.
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That seems like it'd have to be a freak thing though as I can't imagine that there would typically be enough oxygen underground for a fire to spread that way.

brad cook
  13. When I first saw this I wondered ............. leg or tree :)

I seem to remember my Dad telling me that copper nails did the trick, never tried it myself so it could just be the old guy's kidding me.
  14. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I've done this a few times and it works, although you need a little time to work the magic.

Drill several good size diameter holes in the stump and fill them with salt. Add some water so the salt dissolves a bit and ,assuming the tree was alive when you cut it down, it will take the salty water in and distribute it to the roots. This will dehydrate the roots and as the tree desires more moisture, it will accelerate the dehydration. Eventually you'll be able to dig the root ball out or use other means as you mentioned. All of this depends on the size of the root(s), and some trees are hardier than others. You can help the cause by using a wrecking bar with the blade end to sever bigger roots around the perimeter of the ball.

It's good exercise if you need it. :smug:
  15. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I've heard about that too, suggested as a method to get rid of unwanted trees. For instance that annoying view-blocker that the neighbour refuses to cut down: Sneak over on a dark, stormy night and drive a copper bolt into the trunk. :ninja:

Never tried it myself though - neither on my own nor on other people's trees.
  16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I always leave a goodly amount of stump out of the ground.

I remove my stumps the old fashioned way. Old fashioned way = hard way ;) I dig around the stump, cut all the roots below ground level, and heave it out. A good sharp axe helps here. You can use the chainsaw but be very very very careful. Also use an old chain if you have one.

Also if you can get a vehicle near the stump, that can really speed up the process. Althought I would still cut the roots.
  17. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    +1 on the pro stump removal. Very cool to watch, and doesn't take very long.
  18. Lots of things that go boom.