To rent, or not to rent? That is the question.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, May 20, 2001.

1. Own (You don't have to rent any equipment)

19 vote(s)
  2. Rent (You rent one or more items)

5 vote(s)
  3. Rent to Own (A portion of the rental fee goes toward the purchase price)

3 vote(s)
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
  1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Until this past weekend, my band rented some of our gear when we played a gig. I got to thinking about it and would like to know, out of curiousity, how many of you rent something - whether it be a sound board, lights, stage effects, or what-have-you?
  2. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    We rented lights & a larger PA for a few private parties/shows. & Once I rented a $1,500 vintage fretless Jazz for recording. If you need the gear for limited use it's a good way to go. Also a good relationship w/ your dealer helps. Don't forget that if you ask they might rent some of that used gear in their shop.
  3. Yeah, I'm renting my 100 watt Yorkville combo until I get all the cash scraped together for my Eden CXC-210C4.

Almost there....(i can barely contain myself!)

The yorkville is loud enough for the gigs I play right now, but its obviously not powerful enough for anything else.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The piece I rent most often is an Ampeg SVT when there's a St. Louis gig. It's $50 for the weekend, (out Sat. - back Mon.), for the first time each year, $30 each time after.

It's not always the same SVT, but it's always one that's almost new or in primo condition. And they deliver/pick-up for return customers.

Shops in smaller towns often have 4x10's available, and Peavey stuff is usually available for rent in every town.
  5. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

I'm renting a Yorkville Bassmaster 400 right now. I'm impressed with it, It's pretty loud and the features allow you to get alot of different sounds. I think I'm going to buy it eventually. I'm sure if I had a better bass (mine is garbage... samick :eek: ) it would really sound cool.
  6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah that's about it for me too.