Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To replace Driver in Working Mans 15..Kappa pro 15 or kappa pro 15LF?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KlarkKent, Feb 1, 2003.

1. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hey guys!!

Blew out my driver in my Working Mans 15. I am going to replace it with either a Kappa Pro 15 or a Kappa Pro 15LF. This is based on recommendations by Eminence. The problem is they were not very specific as to why these would work with MY cab. So I am double checking with you guys!!
    I have a Carvin DCM1000, and will be running in parallel, (with a 2x10 8ohm), sending 500 watts to my Working Man.

My question is, and please be specific, which speaker is better for my cab? I know the inner dimensions of the cab, (of which I am to ignorant to speak of ...enclosure volume..Thiele-Small parameters..etc.) have much to do with this.

The original speaker was rated at 200 watts, I will be jumping to 600 watt rated speaker. Does that matter?

I contacted SWR, they were not very helpful, in fact they would not tell me much about the inner dimensions of the cab, or what speaker they use to replace it. I understand, it's business, they want me to order a replacement from them, but jeez! Pretty crappy of them to be so cryptic.

By the way the tone I'm looking for is nice tight, but fat, mid's, I am in a Police tribute band..play all police tunes...I play with a pick and lots of those Stings lines are fast double picked lines..I need real fast response.

Klark Kent

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    What would be most helpful, would be if you told us:

1. What the internal measurements of the cab are.
    2. What size/shape/length the port is.

It's impossible to answer without those figures.

3. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Thats just it, I don't KNOW what the inner dimensions are!! I can measure the port if you like but...I was hoping to find someone who might know about my cab already...

Thanks for replying though, I really appreciate it.

4. I also have a WM 400 watt head and the WM 1x15 and 4x10... Did you blow your 15 because from your carvin? And honestly, the WM series is good, but if I were you I'd just get a higher quality cab. I'm on the hunt for a new rig myself... Mesa here I come!

5. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Well, finances are bad...and I have a great connection who can get me Eminence speakers
    ass cheap. Just need someone to tell me that it would be an appropriate match for my cab.

6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Peavey Black Widow... Forget the Kappa. You don't need a high power speaker. Get one that matches your amp better.

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I don't know which is better (I'm not really a techy) but, I have a WM 15 cab loaded with a (4ohm) Kappa Pro (not LF) and it works very well.

With flat EQ, the cab has a strong mid presence and is very tight and punchy. With my active basses, the cab is able to put out all the high-end zing that I want, or all the low-end throb that I could ask for.

I don't think you could go wrong with either speaker, but I know the regular Kappa Pro works just fine. :)

(FWIW, I like the WM cab + Eminence speaker mod so much, that I'm thinking about doing something similar to a WM 210t.)

8. Rockbobmel

I believe that Sting played an Ibanez Musician FRETLESS on most of the early Police work.

An' I don't think he used a pick.

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Word. alot of people don't like these speakers. but for mean sounding growly 15'' speakers, this is the good, cheap answer. Woudn't putting those speakers in your cab suck out and mid and high end responce? those are dedicated subwoofers right? i would not use true subwoofers unless i really needed to go that deep.

10. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Slater..
    THANK YOU YYYYYYYYEESSSSSSSS!!
    I finally got what I wanted to here. Then it's final. I'll put in the Kappa 15.

Rock Bobby...
    He played a MC-900 1979 Ibanez Fretless. That was one if his main basses, Regatta and Zenyatta tours. He started the Police with his '62 fretted Jazz, then soon after aquired a clear coat Fender precision Maple on Maple Fretless, which he used until he started endorsing Ibanez...not many major rock stars did at the time. Then some time later he got a red maple on maple fretless Precision, (which is exactly what I have.) He used that bass heavily on the Zenyetta tour. He also used some other Ibanez basses, a Destroyer-bodied Hamer I believe as well, (Zenyatta), and sadly a Kramer...yuck! Then double yuck! a Steinberger on Ghost I.T.M., Finally a real bad ass white Spector on Synchronity tour. But believe me bro..I know for a fact he absolutely used a pick. I've done my research!!! Look at any early live video of The Police, Hatfield 79, Around the World, you can clearly see him use one.

Slater one last thougth then we can close this thread...that Kappa you put in was it the 15 rated at 500 watts right?

11. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco

Shoot, if you listen to the early Police stuff you can hear that he used a pick. Check out the videos too.

KlarkKent - BTW, I recently quit a successful Police tribute band here in SF called Stung. What's your band name?

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    ummmm thought he used used his thumb? not a pick....

13. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    No way unless I'm blind.....check out Next To You the live performance on the Old Grey Whistle test, his hand would be hamburger meat if he was using his thumb.....check out Around The World when they are backstage messing around with Jules Holland you can clearly see a pick. And it's true you can HEAR it as well,it has a snap to it.

So you recently quit Stung, wow thats news, I know about you guys, I' in FALLOUT: The Police Tribute Band, from Los Angeles. Bee is a nice guy, but he's buggin me a little, Stung was playing all over the Bay area and he wants me to help him get gigs here! I'm very supportive but jeez! It's hard work getting US gigs, tell me about your leaving Stung..what happened?!

14. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I just had this same problem with
    my workingmans 10. The nice people
    at Emenince gave me 3 options for
    speakers. BUT!!! Emenince makes the
    speakers for the workingmans series
    but don't offer a speaker like it because
    swr orders them to their specs to work
    with their box. SWR says you can put
    anything you want in the box but it may
    not perform as well as the speaker they
    use. Also.. The guys at swr stand around
    trying speaker after speaker to find the one
    that works best with the cab and amp.
    As much as I don't like the answer... the
    safe thing seems to be swr's stock
    replacement speaker.

15. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    KK-

check your email.

-S

16. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Sting uses his thumb with palm muting these days. Check out the bass sound on Outlandos D'Amour or Regatta de blanc. It's pretty clearly picked on a lot of tunes. The sound on Zenyatta Mondatta is a bit harder to flesh out because he doubles a bunch with electric-upright (from Bass Player interview).

17. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I bought the cab used with the Kappa already loaded inside (I got lucky - I was looking for a 4ohm 1x15" cab and found it). IIRC, I was told the speaker was rated at 400watts (maybe the 4ohm speaker is different, or maybe I don't recall correctly :) ). I only took a peek at the speaker when I purchased the cab about a year ago.

18. Rockbobmel

Polly, the BW I mean is the 1502-8. It is the one in the BX-115 bass guitar cab.

This speaker sounds amazing. It's hard to believe.
    I think there is a lot of contempt prior to investigation about it. Including myself.
    I happened upon it at practice, using other guy's rigs.

19. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    KlarkKent, did you reload that WM 15" cab yet?

Just curious...

20. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    No, not yet its on the way from Kentucky.
    I'll for sure post the results when I have put it through its paces.
    Dave