1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To reunite or not?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by powderfinger, May 12, 2011.

1. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    So, there was some talk of one of my last band reuniting. We broke up a few years ago, and I havent played live since. Ive since started a new band, with some family members. I am writing most of the material, and Id say with my cousin, about 1/2 in charge ;) But basically, in this band, I am able to do the things that *I* want to do, and its fun.

Rewind back to the old band. Now, we had quite a level of success. We had some radio play locally, a lot of write ups in the local rags, etc. We also did some minor touring as well. However, the bad part was the band leader was/is a raging, mean alcoholic. He is one of those "his way or the highway" kind of guys. He would belittle band members in front of the band. He would tell people their original songs werent any good, and we'd never play them. I barely got to play ANY of my originals tunes in the band (which were just as good, if not better than his in many cases). Also, most of the band were drinkers as well. Everyone fought, and it was always unpleasant. I was asked to do a gig with them, and that it would require me to rehearse 1 once a week with them for a couple months prior. I turned it down. Would any of you have done the same? I know this reunion would have been a success, but how can you walk back into the fire???

2. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Why walk into an unpleasant experience? You've been there, done that, now move on. Life is too short.

3. WackoStu

WackoStu

Dec 6, 2010
    Sturtevant WI
    If the behavior which caused you to leave in the first place has not changed, then you did the right thing. If they did change, a jam session would be a truth teller if it truly has. Go with your gut, the gut don't lie.

4. skidrawk

skidrawk

Jan 21, 2007
    Space City, TX
    I reunited with my band for a one off show. It was a heavy price to pay, but I got it done and withdrew from the band (resigned) right after the reunion show.

5. Find out if they are still drinking and then make the decision.

6. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    Heh... if they are still breathing...

Only thing that makes me WANT to go back and do a follow up show would be for the people who came to our shows. We got a pretty good local following, and I miss those people. We may not have been "stars", but to our fanbase, it kind of felt like we were (if just for a night). We got to know alot of our fanbase really well.

Also, I love our body of work. Egos, nasty attitudes, songwriting credits aside.. the songs are great.

Only drawback is.. like I said, the band leader is a total, drunken, mean, jerk. I played in a band with him briefly in 1995 or so, and he was the same then. He's the same now.

I guess as fun as a reunion would be, its not worth the CRAP. Ill focus on making this new band work.. and maybe getting the old fan base interested in us.

7. I wouldn't do it man if they are still acting the same. Just seems like your walking back into a bad situation.

8. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    Define success for me. I would question on what level the reunion would be considered a success. Sure, you might get paying gigs and the like, but would you be miserable doing it? If so, unless it is some really serious cash I would not consider it.