To Ric or not to Ric .......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fishinmuzician, Nov 5, 2005.

1. I played a buddy's 4003 a few weeks back and have been having major GAS ever since. Hadn't played one in many, many years. Always loved the sound, but didn't like the feel back then. Obviously, things have changed. I loved it !!

Anyway .... after a week or two of leaving the Ric website up on the computer & blasting old Rush every day after work, the boss (wife) broke down & gave me the green light! However .... there's always a catch .... I may be pushed to get rid of 1 or 2 of the basses I have in the stable now

I guess I'm just looking for some support & words of encouragement from the Ric fanatics out there. Does 1 4003 = 1 Geddy + 1 Spector ? Other suggestions? Look at my profile to see what's available for possible sale.

Thanks in advance for your input. (Oh, tell me your favorite color, too)
  2. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Those Cheyennes are awfully nice...
  3. I have "To Ric'd" more than once. :smug:

4. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Getting a ric is definatly worth ditch'n a Geddy and Spector imo. Then again I don't like spectors...

Honestly if I were you I'd also look into those cheyenne's, they are very nice.
  5. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Ric baby Ric!!

I have a '74 4001 (Fireglo), '78 3001 (Walnut), and an '03 4003 (Montezuma Brown) & love 'em all. I'd lose a Spector to get a Rick.

She should let you keep 'em all though. I have six basses now and my boss (wife) bought me the last two!
  6. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    My Ric 4003 (mapleglo) has been my #1 since last march. It took me two summers to get it but it was well worth the wait.
  7. I've got a 4001, white, like in B'Aces High's photo. It was a great "workhorse" for at least 20 years. I loved it; but then again, now I now love my Fender JAzz 5'ver, and have a Warwick Fortress fretless and a Warwick FNA Fretless 5'ver soon to be delivered. GAS just keeps continuing.

If you love the Ric enough go "give up", then go for it. If there's too much "tearing from the fingertips" to choose, then maybe the time's not quite right. Only you can make that determination.

All I can tell you from looking at your profile, is that if you do this, you'll be that much farther away in time until you get that "Chapman" you're GASsing for! Sorry; just another "wrench" thrown at you! Good luck!
  8. Thanks for helping me decide?? Looks like the Spector is toast. I think I'll have to ditch one of them to appease the boss. She won't let the Essence go anywhere. She gave it to me for Christmas 6 yrs. ago & likes the sound as much as I do.

Tell me more about the sound of the Cheyenne .... same classic Ric tone & growl? I do like the looks. BTW ... Nice collection Mr. B'Aces.
  9. The 4004cii is similar to the 4003, but i find has a bit more low end. I see it as a "modernized" 4003.
    It is also ALOT more lighter than a 4003 as well.
    But if its a 4004 you want, be prepared to pull your hair out trying to find a 4004...they can be hard to find...and more expensive.

That "white" one above is actually Silver (like Fender's Inca Silver finnish) just doesnt turn up well in pictures.
  10. Wow. Thanks for the info. I'd love to see that one in the "flesh"! Hey! Congrats on the New bass in your other thread! Great family!

Well, "fishinmuzician", I hope you find the one you like! Ric's are great! Have fun with the search!
  11. To all who took the time to respond and advise, thanks a bunch! Only decision left is which one ...... fun choice to make, though.

Thanks again, guys!!
  12. :bassist: :bassist: PLAY ON! :bassist: :bassist:
  13. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Yeah, what he said...
  14. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    The spector alone, yes, but the Geddy sig...

On the other hand, I do like Geddy's Ric tone better, so I suppose...