To SABDDI or not to SABDDI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by steak'n'roll, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Yes

50 vote(s)
  2. No

7 vote(s)
  3. yes but... or no but...

16 vote(s)
  1. The question is clear: Sansamp bass driver DI: Yes or no?

I know it is a matter of opinion, some like it for some reasons, some don't for the same reasons but, would you or wouldn't you put it in your signal chain?
  2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I wouldn't put is in my signal chain for one simple reason: I don't need it. But I've got a lot of time and money in my rig.

If you need a mediocre rig to sound good, then get it. If you need a classic Ampeg overdriven dirty sound , then get it.

But if you don't, then don't get it.

Really, you're the ONLY person who knows the answer to this poll.
  4. MickeyMickey

Dec 17, 2005
    For those voting no, do you have better options you would suggest?
  5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    This is a simplistic and inacurate analysis IMO. There are many professional players that have used this and they all don't "sound the same". Justin Chancellor certainly sounds nothing like T-Bone Wolk.

The fact is that the Samamp does do quite a few things well, and one is that it emulates the a 70's Ampeg overdriven to break up.

I guess everyone who has used "the secret to the legendary Ampeg sound" also all sounded the same? The fact is that this is arguably the most used pedal of the last ten years for a reason.
  6. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Never played one. I did not vote. I really like EBS overdrive. The have some sound clips on the EBS site. The EBS overdrive really warms up the modern tone of my EBS HD350.

7. CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    I use sansamp in the clubs, if I have to plug bass straight into the line or if the amp is bad. If it is a big stage and good amp, or a small stage and good amp, I don't need any sansamp.
  8. Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    If I liked it, I'd use it. I perfer my OD with tubes, but if you like it...who cares?
  9. Very well said. I agree with you 100%. :) :)

This "all sound the same" nonsense is a myth which, for reasons I can't begin to fathom, is perpetuated by those players who either have little or no experience of the unit, or have spent insufficient time working with the VERY powerful active controls which are such an integral part of the multitude of sounds available.

BUY ONE!! :) :) :) :)
  10. sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Try it. I had one, and sold it a couple of months after - simply wasn't my sound.

So, try before buying - unless you *know* you can sell it well in your area.
  11. uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Give soundclips recorded without pick :hyper: :bawl:
  12. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Thank you.

There are so many other factors besides the pedal itself- the bass, the amp, other pedals and the player and his/her playing style that factor into "sounding the same".

Well, like I said it depends on what he needs. Not everyone needs one.
  13. I got one, and I have been satisified, but certainly not blown away by it like so many out there. If you read the HC reviews you'd think it was the greatest thing in the history of the world!

It's just a tone shaping box with overdrive capabilities. I use the programmable version as an effects box, so in addition to the "natural" tone of bass and amp, I can get 3 other modified sounds at my toetips.

It's also useful to have an amp emulating DI box around in case you need it one day...
  14. uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    A side-question here :)

I'm currently thinking about getting a sansamp programmable bass driver. Mainly for the overdrive of it as I want 2 stages of overdrive in my setup.

Thing is that I've just got my hands on a Tube-bass preamp ( which gives me a REAL nice clean sound!

I was wondering if adding a sansamp programmable will be overkill? :rolleyes: Not sure if I will want to use the EQ on the programmable since I've found that great clean sound on the tube-bass.

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I use my SansAmp daily but I don't see why you'd want to use it in addition to a very nice tube preamp.
  16. uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    As I wrote: for the 2 - 3 stages of overdriven sound. :)
  17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Then get an overdrive pedal. That's what it's for.